Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not the way we do it anymore?!?

Default Not the way we do it anymore?!?

when my dd#2 was born i figured i was an old pro at bf'ing, having nursed dd#1 for 11 months and ds over 2 years. i remember sitting in the bed the next morning barely 12hrs after she was born, nursing her. i had had her to the breast so many times at that point that i lost count. all the nurses couldn't get over that i had her to the breast within the 1st half hr of her being born, and her taking to it with no prob. (hello, is that not what is recommended?) one nurse comes in and looks at the chart that i was suppose to fill out with how many feeds/poops/pees. she watched me nurse, remarked that dd has a good latch, then tells me 'its not the way we do it anymore,' referring to the position. of course i was tired, and in a lot of pain, as my pelvis had separated during the pregnancy, so i was thinking, OH MY GOD!! i'm not doing it right! then she proceeds to tell me i need to hold my breast with my hand, which meant the hand with the iv inserted at the side of my wrist was bent at a really odd angle and was hurting like crazy. she acknowledged that it was hurting my hand, and tells me i can do it that way next time!!! at that moment i realized that this was stupid to say the least!! there is not one right way to bf!!! who cares what position you use as long as mom and baby are comfy, and the latch is good. i felt like telling her off, but let it go at nursing how i felt like!

Emma July 1st, 1995 10lbs 7oz

Liam October 1st,1996 10lbs 1oz

Hanna December 15th, 2007 9lbs 8oz (2 weeks early!)
    1 month: 12lbs 9oz
    2 months: 14lbs 9oz
    4 months: 16lbs

Default Re: Not the way we do it anymore?!?

That's frustrating. Why would they try to mess with something that's so clearly working well for mother and baby?
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLShannon View Post
    That's frustrating. Why would they try to mess with something that's so clearly working well for mother and baby?
    Indeed. Why would they?

DS and I invent positions all the time to be honest. As long as hes latched good and drinking well I really dont care as long as we are comfy.

Recently Ive been laying him across my belly while I am laying on my back, and latching him on to either side. Or, I will sit him up in my lap and let my boob dangle into his mouth He likes this one even though hes only a month old and I have to support his head - I think he likes being sitting up and able to look up at me well.
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

oooh, just thinking about that IV made me cringe. You are a pro, don't let that nurse mess w/ your head

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I totally feel ya on the IV! Mine hurt so badly, I told the nurse in my recovery room that if she didn't remove it, I would do it myself. She reluctantly removed it.
    I don't know why that nurse thought it was prudent to tell you that's not how it's done anymore? Since when?! Some people feel it's necessary to make sure they're one up on you, that's what it sounds like to me, since you were doing so well on your own. Maybe if she'd had some interesting new thing to share with you, she wouldn't have had to "correct" you. Good for you and your LO!
    ...wow, I can't believe we've been
    for 10 months!

That's not the way WE do it?

I didn't know WE were nursing my baby.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.