Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cracked and painful nipples

Default cracked and painful nipples

My baby was born a week ago thursday and my nipples are already cracked and painful. I have worked on the latching problems. I have used breast milk on them. I have used lanolin ointment and left them open to the air. the pain is really intense. What else can I do?

Default Re: cracked and painful nipples

there is a product you can purchase at most drug stores called soothies. they are gel pads that you refrigerate first and then place on your breasts to help sooth your skin. they are around $10-15 but they can be used multiple times and i think that they are well worth the money. i almost stopped nursing my lo in the beginning because of the pain and the soothies were the only thing that helped me feel any relief and helped me to heal.

hang in there...

I second the soothies! Also be sure to keep plenty of lanolin on your nipples, especially right before a feeding and before a shower. I had latching problems with my little guy at first too, we would have to try so many times to get him on the breast that sometimes I would let him nurse even though I knew it was a bad latch. At least you have corrected the problem early, so they shouldn't take to long to heal. Just be sure to protect them from moisture. In a week or two they should be fully healed.

heres a great page with tips on what to do:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

hows the babies weight gain been?