Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should a BF mom be eating

Question What should a BF mom be eating

so as a BF mom ideally what should i be eating??? ideally how many calories should i put in, sample menus, helpful websites, TIA!! i really want to make this work and do everything possible to help him out
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Default Re: What should a BF mom be eating

Typically about 500 calories more than you would eat otherwise.

Lots of details at the links below.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/index.html

http://llli.org/NB/NBmaternalnutrition.html

http://llli.org/NB/NBMarApr04p44.html
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I am by no means an expert, and I'm sure other moms will have great resources to share, but I'll tell you what I've learned.

First I make sure I eat a reasonably balanced diet and get MORE calories. I believe 500-800 extra calories per day is recommended. That means I have enough protein, good hearty carbs and fruits and vegetables every day. If you or your baby don't have a dairy sensitivity, plenty of dairy to keep up calcium is a good thing- at least 3 servings and more, as I recall.

For me making sure I have enough protein is essential. I get very weak and dizzy if I don't eat alot of protein. Also having three meals and snacks in between helps me keep up my energy.

I supplement daily with prenatal vitamin and omega-3 fish oil. I'll also take acidophilus capsules and eat plain yogurt if my nips get itchy (helps keep thrush at bay)

And yes, WATER is very important to me. I try to get 3-4 22 oz glasses of water in per day. When I first starting BFing, I would drink a glass with every day time feeding. My skin looks better and I feel better when I drink water.

So as long as I get my protein, dairy, fruits and vegetables in, I don't sweat it if I want to indulge in something with refined carbs or sugars. There are days when I don't get enough sleep and I am soooo tired and hungry that I cave in. No biggie, I'm not trying to lose weight these days. I wore myself down trying to exercise and diet with little sleep and got sick (chickenpox 2nd time!). I'm waiting until my sleep is more regular before I start again.

Hope this helps!

Smile Re: What should a BF mom be eating

Thanks for all the great info this is exactly what i was looking for, one last question....

Prenatal vitamins, i quit taking these, i had no idea, can i take OTC ones or do i need to get a script? any preferred brands out there?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I eat wild alaskan salmon once a week (you can eat it up to twice a week but I am not a big fan). I also eat omega-3 eggs about every other day, grass-fed beef and breads with flax-seeds in them. These are my omega-3 sources for the baby's brain development. Also calcium is very important for lactating moms because your bones will get weak if you don't get enough calcium. I eat oatmeal almost every morning that I make with 1 cup of milk, 1 banana, cinnamon and some walnuts (also good source of omega-3). Increases supply and it is delicious. If you have problems with dairy it works great with rice milk too.
    Also try to eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits to boost your immune system so that you won't get sick. Mommas are much needed, they can't afford getting sick right

Quote Originally Posted by Lidarln View Post
    Prenatal vitamins, i quit taking these, i had no idea, can i take OTC ones or do i need to get a script? any preferred brands out there?
    I take OTC pre-natals (Nature's made)
    I also agree with pp's == lots of water
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Quote Originally Posted by Lidarln View Post
    I have been taking Stuart prenatal since I was pregnant. It is the best to my knowledge since the vitamin A in it is not the toxic type (retinol palmitate) but 100% beta carotene and it is up to USP standards.

ummm I eat CRAP! I sometimes take my prenatal pills! I dont get a lot of sleep but I pack away the water and apple juice! *blush* Maybe I should eat better? But Im sooo tired the last thing I want to do is cook. DH cooks but thats dinner. So he is no help durring the day lol. DS has gained 4 lbs and 3 inches in 6 weeks so I guess im not eating THAT bad. lol

To elaberate on this topic what FAST foods do you eat? I dont mean Mc Ds and Berger King. I mean quick simple healthy foods when your too tired to cook. As far as I know so far he doesnt have any food allergies. Ham is a possibility but I dont know if it was that or the Mastitus that made him sick. I am Allergic to Onions. So what kind of Non Ham Non Onion foods?

Great Thanks, i drink about a Quart a day (no lie) of skim milk, is this okay or should i do reduced fat, whole milk...i've always loved milk, people make fun of me for it...

i drink water all day and Milk all night so I'm good there

if oatmeal really helps I'll try it, I've never really liked it...i can't stand fish but i love walnuts...

and I'll get some prenatal ASAP...

i posted this elsewhere but when i was home i ate maybe a yogurt high protein ensure every day before dh came home, since returning to work I've been bringing my food to work as follows:

6:30am high protein ensure
    8:00am 2 cups coffee w/ half&half (really half coffee half&half)
    10:00am PB&J on whole grain bread
    12:00am ham or Turkey or chicken on whole grain with cheddar
    2:00 yogurt strawberry fruit on bottom
    4:00 apple
    water all day
    I'll usually start snacking on some bread whole grain or cheese once i get home @ 5:30
    if i haven't had my fix of milk by end of day I'll fill a quart size mason jar and drink in about 10-15 minutes
    my husband will take care of dinner i just direct him but I'm by no means watching calories it's just what i like that i can bring

i try to eat natural/organic/no canned,frozen,'preserved' as much as possible

as far as allergies i am allergic to most citrus fruits: oranges, passion fruit , mango, etc... Lemons limes and grapefruit are okay
    Last edited by Lidarln; March 31st, 2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: added allergy info
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyofmyboys View Post
    Maybe I should eat better?

But Im sooo tired the last thing I want to do is cook.
    Open a bag of salad or eat raw veggies and fruits! No cooking needed.

To elaberate on this topic what FAST foods do you eat? I dont mean Mc Ds and Berger King. I mean quick simple healthy foods when your too tired to cook. As far as I know so far he doesnt have any food allergies. Ham is a possibility but I dont know if it was that or the Mastitus that made him sick. I am Allergic to Onions. So what kind of Non Ham Non Onion foods?
    We keep sliced turkey and swiss cheese in the fridge as well as PB&J and a loaf of whole wheat bread. Those are always fast and easy.

Avocados
    Bananas
    Nuts
    Apples
    Oranges
    Pears
    Mangos
    Whole Wheat Crackers w/ Cream Cheese
    Celery with Peanut Butter or Cream Cheese
    Watermelon
    Berries

the possibilities are endless.

I also add flaxseed meal or toasted wheat germ to everything I eat.

Don't sell yourself short with nutrition!

A very quick dinner is ground turkey breast with marinara sauce over whole wheat pasta.

Ditch the high fructose bottled dressings and add oil and vinegar to your salads!!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.