Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: proper fit of breastshield

Question proper fit of breastshield

I have a PISA, and i have been using the breastshields that came in the 'kit' that we purchased at the hospital. yesterday I bought, at target, the medela breastshield/valve/membrane kit (i was surprised b/c in this kit the horns don't disconect, it's all one big piece? KWIM) anyway i have lagre breasts, 36 E or F currently and i have never been sure i'm using proper size breastshield. it's always been a little uncomfortable but hell it's a pump. this new breastshield felt like it was cutting into my skin, i cried out in pain and almost ripped it off before turning the pump off. it didn't hurt on my nipple but rather where the edge of plastic hits my breast? make sense, anyway i've been searching online all day to no avail, how do i know if i am using the right size, i've read instruction but i cannot really tell if it's right or not.... i need specifics, examples, pictures even??? where do i go???
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Default Re: proper fit of breastshield

Here is a good link. scroll down. http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...mp-accessories
    let us know if you have more questions!

Autumn, here is a link someone gave me when I asked a few days ago.
    http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...d-breastshield
    [/SIGPIC]FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]Mommy to Haley 6/20/2000- BF- 1 year
    Ella 2/20/2008- BF- 111 months

yeah i still don't get it.... i feel like i need to be on the short bus for pumping....Quoting the medela site here....

If the breastshield fits tightly, your nipple will rub against the sides of the tunnel with each vacuum movement of the pump. some of it rubs, the outer edge maybe? After several pumpings, you may notice that the outside of the nipple (rather than the nipple tip) is tender or sore.a little bit You may also see a little ring of skin flecks in the tunnel of the breastshield after you pump. While a little circle of milk in the tunnel is normal, a ring of skin flecks probably indicates that the tunnel is too small, and that you would be more comfortable with a larger breastshield.i'll look for this, i have noticed milk in the horn outer rim type area? When your nipple moves freely in the tunnel of the breastshield, you will also note a gentle pulling movement in the areola each time the pump cycles. yep i def see movement a clear movementIf you do not see any movement in the areola with the pump vacuum, the breastshield is probably too small.

what happens if i buy the next size up? can it bee too big, and what is the next size up?

sorry i feel really lost here, i get milk at each pumping but i'll feel real full and only get 1.5-2 oz each side in 2-3 hour window, and i still feel kinda full after, my son is fine all weekend but when i come back to work i'm just not getting enough out...
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I had the same problem understanding,. I found this link that helped a little. Hope it helps you, too.
    http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/most/fit.aspx

Smile Re: proper fit of breastshield

Perfect! thank you, okay it's too small, tight fit, now to find out what size i do need...

BTW, i feel like if the 20 plus sites i already looked had those pics i could;ve saved myself 2 hours of searching
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by 4xy1xx View Post
    I had the same problem understanding,. I found this link that helped a little. Hope it helps you, too.
    http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/most/fit.aspx
    great link thanks!

Yeah I had to go up one size and then I felt a week later...hmm..maybe I should go up another...well I didnt pump as well (not as much output) so I went back down to the +1 size!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Quote Originally Posted by jlk51496 View Post
    Yeah I had to go up one size and then I felt a week later...hmm..maybe I should go up another...well I didnt pump as well (not as much output) so I went back down to the +1 size!
    did you see an increase in output with the first size upgrade?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

maybe a little now that I think about it, but for me it was more about the hurting less!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!