Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: proper fit of breastshield

Default Re: proper fit of breastshield

I agree with using the Pumpin Pal flanges. I use the large and medium size, but have also used the XL on occasion. Takes all of the guess work out of sizing and they are much more comfortable.

I could not stand PumpinPals. They didn't feel right, and the milk always went the wrong way. Worst pumping investment I made.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Luckily for you, they have a 100% money back guarantee, unlike 99% of other pumping gear. You should get your money back. I guess that shows how well they work for most everyone else. And no, I don't work for them, just trying to help. Poo Pooing them doesn't help the rest of the moms on here that may be suffering unnecessarily like I was. I am now on my second child and still using them without any pain and I will continue to spread the word. I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*PumpMom View Post
    And no, I don't work for them, just trying to help.
    Who ever said you work for them? That's a rather odd thing to say out of the blue.

Poo Pooing them doesn't help the rest of the moms on here that may be suffering unnecessarily like I was.
    Susan was just relating her experience. She is an extremely experienced mama and has done an enormous amount to help other mamas on this forum and in real life. "Poo Pooing" her post doesn't help anyone. This forum is particularly useful because mamas who have BTDT can share their experiences, both positive and negative, with others. I find it a little disturbing that you are attempting to stifle that.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I think this is a very useful thread, and I'd hate for this really great link to get overlooked. Properly sized breast shields can make a huge difference. So...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    Who ever said you work for them? That's a rather odd thing to say out of the blue.

Susan was just relating her experience. She is an extremely experienced mama and has done an enormous amount to help other mamas on this forum and in real life. "Poo Pooing" her post doesn't help anyone. This forum is particularly useful because mamas who have BTDT can share their experiences, both positive and negative, with others. I find it a little disturbing that you are attempting to stifle that.
    I only come around this board every few months to read some posts and see if anything interesting is going on. One time I saw a post about Pumpin Pal flanges and how well they worked for those with nipple pain from pumping. at the time, I was ready to throw in the towel after trying ALL of the medela sizes, including the soft fit, without any relief. I shudder to think if I had read her post, I may not have tried them. I have now successfully pumped for my two boys, all thanks to pumpin pal flanges. This is why I am such an advocate, and it is upsetting for someone to come in and use phrases like "the worst pumping investment I made", even after she received a refund from the company (which is unheard of for flanges). I wish I could have my $70 back from medela for their flanges.

And yes, she has accused me of working for the company in the past. I'm not sure why she has a problem with the flanges, but I pray it doesn't keep someone from trying them if they need them.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pumpmom View Post
    I'm not sure why she has a problem with the flanges
    She clearly stated why...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    They didn't feel right, and the milk always went the wrong way.
    ...and it sounds like a perfectly valid complaint to me.

I have now successfully pumped for my two boys, all thanks to pumpin pal flanges. This is why I am such an advocate, and it is upsetting for someone to come in and use phrases like "the worst pumping investment I made"
    "Worst pumping investment I made" is her opinion and she's entitled to speak it here, just as you are entitled to speak your opinion. It's great that they work for you, but Pumpin' Pals clearly don't work for everyone; I think that it would do you well to simply accept that fact rather than get so emotionally invested in what is nothing more than another commercial product. The soft silicone Ameda shields worked really well for me, but I'm certainly not going to get upset when they don't work for others. I love my Ergo, but I don't get all worked up when other mamas here say they hate theirs. It's simply a matter of personal preference.

No one product, regardless of it's purpose, is going to work for everyone, and it is helpful when experienced mamas provide feedback whether it is similar or different from your experience. I personally find it disturbing that you would say that a post by an extremely knowledgeable mama sharing her experience "doesn't help the rest of the moms on here". This is a place where everyone can freely share their different experiences, not a Pumpin' Pals advertisement.

I only come around this board every few months to read some posts and see if anything interesting is going on. One time I saw a post about Pumpin Pal flanges and how well they worked for those with nipple pain from pumping. at the time, I was ready to throw in the towel after trying ALL of the medela sizes, including the soft fit, without any relief. I shudder to think if I had read her post, I may not have tried them. I have now successfully pumped for my two boys, all thanks to pumpin pal flanges. This is why I am such an advocate, and it is upsetting for someone to come in and use phrases like "the worst pumping investment I made", even after she received a refund from the company (which is unheard of for flanges). I wish I could have my $70 back from medela for their flanges.

And yes, she has accused me of working for the company in the past. I'm not sure why she has a problem with the flanges, but I pray it doesn't keep someone from trying them if they need them.
    Actually, I have NEVER accused you of working for them. That was someone else who asked you that.

And I flat out say why they didn't work for me. I lost OUNCES of milk with them every time I tried them. Ounces. No money back guarantee can fix that.

This entire board is based on moms' experiences. Some good, some bad. Sharing all experiences is what makes this place work. What works for you might not work for someone else, but it's a place where people can look and see what else might be an option.

Glad they work for you. They have worked for other moms I have worked with IRL. I have loaned mine to ktber moms So they can see if they work for then. Yet they are not a magic cure-all. A few of my moms loved them. Some also didn't like them and found them very uncomfortable. And I have suggested them to moms here online too. They are a tool, but not a one-size fits all tool.

ETA: I could have used my money for something else at the time. That is why it was the worst investment. And since I loaned mine to other moms, obviously I did NOT get my money back. Where did you read I got my money back? I opted to consider the money wasted and keep them for my loaner collection.

ETA: you also were not around when I battled sore nipples for about 9 months. I tried everything. It was not until I switched to a hospital grade pump only that they went away. It might not be the horns. Soreness can be due to the pump itself.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; August 9th, 2012 at 06:20 AM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

just so it doesn't get lost here's the most awesome link serena gave me
    http://www.ameda.com/breast-pumping/...w-can-i-get-it
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07