Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He NEEDS to sleep through the night.

Default He NEEDS to sleep through the night.

I can't do it anymore. I've tried "putting my big girl panties on" and it's not working anymore. I had him more or less night weaned until he got sick (for the first time) a little over a month ago, and now he wants to nurse all night. And I mean that literally. If I'm lucky I can get him to sleep from 8-11 and then pat him back to sleep until around 2. But from 2-8 he wants to be attatched to the boob, and throws screaming/slapping/kicking fits if he doesn't get his way. i need help... DH doesn't wake up even when X is kicking the crap out of him.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Default Re: He NEEDS to sleep through the night.

...how did he get night weaned the first time? Was it on his own or did you help with that?
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Is he cutting molars? That would be my first guess. We are dealing with it too, and its

But I think to even try to nightwean + sleep-train while cutting molars would be like
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Must be something in the air. For the last 5 nights Z has nursed from 1-7am nonstop. And he had been nightweaned for 2 months. He's getting his 2nd set of molars. I can feel the top right one already. Three more to go. I don't think there's much you can do if it is teething related. Just got to wait it out. Can you wake DH up to help you out or will that just make things worse?
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

We did the dr. jay gordon method and have been trying still to do it now, it's just not working.

As far as teething it doesnt SEEM like he's getting any molars his I teeth broke the surface a few weeks ago though. I wouldn't mind him nursing once during the night I guess...it's more the constantly latched on nursing. Once he starts to fall asleep he drifts into a shallow latch until i break the seal so to speak then he's screaming again. And my poor nipples hurt so bad! lol

I don't think waking dh would do any good he'd just grumble and go back to sleep. Last thing I need is for him to fall asleep while driving at work or something.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Meg, I am right there with you, mama. G was doing really well after we night weaned, and it has recently gone down the tubes. I still do not nurse her during the night, but when she does wake up during the night, she usually asks for a drink of water, takes a swallow, and lays back down. I have suspected her second set of molars, but she will not let me check, so I have no confirmation, but that is what I suspect.

In other words, I have no suggestions, but I am here for support! Hopefully things get better soon!
    Robin

The constant need to latch is generally a sign of teeth.....So what happens if you don't get enough sleep? Worse case scenario?

Way too lazy for formula

I can almost guarantee its a phase. And just when you really think you are gonna go over the top, it will get better. I hate saying that, but I swear at that age, Haylee was waking up every 3 minutes screaming her head off to nurse (and that's when we nightweaned, and it didn't make it any better). She still wakes up a lot. I have no idea what to do about it except to keep doing it. Some nights she will sleep all night and the next she will wake 5 times. I know that's different from wanting to nurse all night, because I have one who sleeps down the hall that I have to walk to to give her milk, and another that sleeps next to me that I usually wake up to tend to the older one, because he has to be attached all night long. I fear the thought of having another, becuase how many times a night can a person wake up?

I'm no help. Just full of !

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Meg
    Is it possible for you to go back to newborn survival mode aka. Sleep when the baby sleeps mode for the time-being? Thats what I've been doing. I go to sleep before 9 PM. I have NO life, but it makes me feel like I'm getting more sleep in than if I wait til 10 or 11 just as DS is starting to get wakeful for the night.

What time does DH start work? Or can Gma take X for an hour or two in the morning so you can get some alone sleep. That always does wonders.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

really sounds like teeth I agree. Tried some sort of pain reliever?