Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: when to try yogurt and other dairy products?

Default Re: when to try yogurt and other dairy products?

With this one I'll start at a year.

I love BROWN COW YOUGURT. (Organic, no growth hormones, etc.) The kind with the CREAM at the top is excellent. I think Stoneybrook just bought them out.

http://www.browncowfarm.com/OurYogurts/index.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by Dedra
    With this one I'll start at a year.

I love BROWN COW YOUGURT. (Organic, no growth hormones, etc.) The kind with the CREAM at the top is excellent. I think Stoneybrook just bought them out.

http://www.browncowfarm.com/OurYogurts/index.cfm
    me too, dedra, its great! i love the vanilla with the cream on top-super tasty!

It's better than ICE CREAM - well, almost.

just wanted to update that I ended up waiting until DS turned 9 months and he *loves* his yogurt!! it's so much fun to feed him when he enjoys eating!!

Be careful with yogurt, even the organics, because they often contain sugar. Plain yogurt is better for babies, especially to avoid allergic reactions. If they do fine on plain yogurt, then you could always flavor with a little pure vanilla. You can also mix some fruits they have already tried with the plain yogurt to sweeten it naturally.

My ds is now 4 and one of his favorite things is making our own version of the McDonald's parfaits. We mix plain yogurt with strawberries and blueberries, a little vanilla and we sweeten it with stevia. When the berries are not in season, we like to use frozen. Of course, he didn't try the berries under 12 months
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

Any family history of allergies or eczema I would wait until after a year

I have been giving my 8 month old yogurt and cottage cheese for about weeks now. she loves it. usually with her lunch. Instead of the baby organic yogurts I use the whole foods organic whole milk yogurt so She taste the plain yogurt vs/ sweatened with fruit kind.

Dh and I both have family history of alergies, but we went ahead and gave ds yogurt at 7.5 mo and cheese around 8 mo I think. He had absoluetely no problems at all with either. In fact, the only thing he's had a rection to so far is strawberries (which he tried at 13 mo). He's pretty much tried everything else except nuts. He is 15 mo btw.

The thing to remember with yogurt and cheese is that it's really unnessacary so long as baby (or todler) is nursing well. We ended up letting him have it because he saw us eating it and always wanted it.