Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when to try yogurt and other dairy products?

Default when to try yogurt and other dairy products?

My DS is a little over 8 months old. He's not a huge fan of many things, especially veggies, but he seems to really like avocado, bananas, plums, and a few other fruits if they are mixed with bananas. I was hoping to try yogurt and cubes of cheese because I think he may he like both the taste and texture. Is it too early for things like that? He hasn't had a problem with dairy in my diet at all.

Default Re: when to try yogurt and other dairy products?

I have been wondering about yogurt too. My sitter keeps suggesting it but I'm not sure either. My boys are 8 1/2 months.

I'm there with you guys. My son will be 9 months on 2/1. Yesterday as I was eating some for breakfast my son looked longingly on. My first food was yogurt. I love yogurt and my son has had no problems with dairy in my diet. The Sears book says 9-12 months, so I gave it to him. He GOBBLED IT UP!!! It was really cute because he is not a big eater other than bm. Cheese is ok at 9-12 months too, according to Dr. Sears. I say go for it.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I waited until over a year old b/c DD reacted to milk products when I ate them...

Jacqui

I decided to try eating yogurt first before introducing it to the boys and thank God I did.
    I don't eat much dairy, the occasional glass of milk and a little cheese here and there. So yesterday I ate some for breakfast and some for an afternoon snack. Last night was horrible. They cried all night with gas pains. I felt terrible. We didn't sleep at all. I They had nothing new in their diet and nothing new in mine except the yogurt. So I'm going to back off of the yogurt probably till they are a year.
    I'm exhausted!!

Guidlines published on the Earth's Best baby food website say you can introduce yogurt as early as 7 months. But my pediatrician told me to wait until 8 or 9 months. I was lactose intolerant as a baby--so I am going to be careful about this. Perhaps giving my baby soy yogurt instead of dairy.

Fortunately, we don't have any history of any kind of food allergies or sensitivities in my family or my husband's, so I've been kind of giving our 8 MO more or less anything (except nuts, I'm still paranoid about them). She tried yogurt at about 5 MOs and really liked it, so she's been having it for breakfast ever since. But, like I said, we don't have any family history of problems with any kind of food. If you're lucky enough to be in the same boat, I'd go ahead and give it a try if you want to.

I LOVE the Stoneyfield Farms Organic Baby Yogurt! It is a wonderful product since it is made with organic whole milk vs. the lowfat and nonfat products that are marketed for adults.

momuvseven

I LOVE the Stoneyfield Farms Organic Baby Yogurt TOO!! IN FACT THIS IS USUALLY ONE OF MY BABIES FIRST FOODS, BUT I DO NOT USUALLY START SOLIDS UNTIL 8-9 MO.

despite not having any food allergies in mine or dh's history, our daugther would get rash on her face from dairy products until about one year old (altho she loved it!)

at one year tho it stopped and now she loves yogurt and cheese.