Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: introducing formula - how

Default introducing formula - how

I'm going back to work next week. I just found out last night that all the breast milk I have accummulated the past 3 months (~ 150 oz) are bad (DD threw up last night after a bottle of thawed milk)... So I have no choice but to introduce some formula (I'm ~ 2 - 4 oz short / day) and also when I'm going back to work.

Question is: Do I give my DD one bottle of formula (4 oz) / day or should I mix formula with breast milk?

Any recommendation?

Default Re: introducing formula - how

The first thing that comes to my mind is: are you 100% sure that the stored milk is bad? Have you tasted it? If it tastes good, it probably is good. The puking-after-drinking-a-bottle thing could just be an isolated episode- an upset tummy, or a reaction to eating too much from the bottle.

If you determine that the milk really is bad, then the first choice, assuming your baby doesn't reject the formula due to the taste, is to give a formula bottle separately from the breastmilk bottle. Give the breastmilk first, so your baby fills up mainly on that, and then give the formula afterwards, to top her off. If you mix the breastmilk and formula, and your daughter doesn't finish the bottle, you will end up pouring some of your precious "liquid gold" down the drain along with the formula. If your baby does reject the formula, try mixing it with breastmilk at first and, when she becomes accustomed to the taste, gradually working your way up to making a bottle that is mostly/only formula.

I also wondered how you were sure it was bad. Just because she got sick does not necessarily mean the milk was bad, especially if she is not used to bottles. When DD was in daycare she would eat as much as they gave her and then she would throw it up because she ate too much. Then of course they would call me and say she was sick but they did not know why.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

What kind of bottle and nipple did you use, and was it the first time your LO had a bottle? Are you using a slow-flow (newborn nipple)?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Add another "How do you know it's bad"? One vomitting incident does not mean that your entire stash is bad.

You are supplementing 2-4 ounces per day now, and you suspect you'll need to supplement more when you return to work. Is this correct?

I talked to a LC and she told me that my milk is not bad. I gave DS 2 oz today and he seems OK. But somehow the frozen milk has a weird smell, like oily and plastically, very different from the fresh EBM. I used Lanisol bags to store the milk. What does frozen milk smell and taste like? Any advice on how to tell if the milk is bad?

I had a bad batch of frozen BM and it smelled and tasted like spit up. Really sour and pukey smelling. No clue how or why that batch went bad, but there was no question that it was yucky!!!

If your EBM tastes sweet and isn't stinky, I think it is probably still good...

20 hours of hypnobirthing and I LOVED every second of it!

Go to the milk storage section down the page and read up. You'll find great info.

A problem that sometimes comes up is excess lipase. Lipase is an enzyme in BM that helps digest the fats in the milk. If there are high levels the milk can smell soapy and taste strange. BUT the milk is NOT spoiled per se. Milk banks will still accept it.

The weird thing is that excess lipase issues can come and go, so some frozen BM can be like that and not other bags. That's another reason to not give up hope. Do NOT throw it out!

The way to test to see if you have a lipase issue now is to put a small amount of fresh in the frig and keep testing it and see how long it takes for it to smell soapy or funky.

Lipase may not be the problem, either. Even if it is lipase, you can still feed it to your LO. It won't hurt the baby. There are tips for helping it taste better in the storage section.

If it is lipase, the way to fix the problem in the future is to scald the BM before storing. That deactivates the lipase so it doesn't break down the milk.

I found out about it after reading the section on milk storage. My LO had been drinking refrigerated milk just fine, even though it had the soapy smell. I started scalding as soon as I found out so I could build a freezer stash without worrying about it. Even after scalding, the frozen stuff doesn't smell like fresh.

Nothing like fresh from the boob!

Hope this helps!

If the milk doesn't taste sour, it probably is not an excess lipase problem either. I think the thing you describe may be just the way frozen milk tastes and smells like because it is frozen. Even frozen vegetables taste different than fresh one

Quote Originally Posted by melsuzylu View Post
    I had a bad batch of frozen BM and it smelled and tasted like spit up. Really sour and pukey smelling. No clue how or why that batch went bad, but there was no question that it was yucky!!!

If your EBM tastes sweet and isn't stinky, I think it is probably still good...
    What is hypnobirthing?
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.