Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: adopting a new born

Default adopting a new born

we are looking to adopt a newborn, and i want to breastfeed the baby, i have never given birth and would like to get prepared as the baby will be arriving in september. Do you have any suggestions, like supplements to assist with the start. we are really excited and cant wait.. And how can my husband help as he would like to participate in all aspects

Default Re: adopting a new born

There are medications that can be prescribed to help induce lactation and there are devices called Supplemental Nursing Systems that allow you to feed bm or formula at the breast. You may want to contact a pediatrician for a consult.

There are articles on the LLL website that can help you with your questions.

That's really all I know. Sorry I can't help more. Congratulations on your adoption!

Default Re: adopting a new born

Congratulations!!

See:
    Adoptive Breastfeeding

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon