Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: white nipples?

Default white nipples?

I noticed today that after DD nurses, the tip of my nipple is white. I don't know a lot about thrush, but I know the baby's tongue turns white. My lo's tongue is fine, but should I be worried??

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

Default Re: white nipples?

It sounds like blanching - which means that the blood flow is cut off to the nipple (via compression in the babies mouth)

Take a look at this non LLL link - that might help you out!

Nipple blanching and vasospasm
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

The same thing happens to me especially when I don't keep an eye on LO's latch.
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks

I think we have a problem with getting a deep latch, but I don't know what else to do. I have been trying so hard to get her to latch on with her chin hitting first, the bottom of the areola getting in more than the top part, so on. But I don't think I am getting it right still! It hurts for a second when she latches on, every time. And she makes a clicking sound for the majority of the time she is latched on. I thought it was because of OALD, but maybe it isn't.

1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

Have you considered calling to see your local La Leche league leader? she can check out your latch for you. Does baby get her tongue out over her gums, can you see it under the nipple a little bit? Has she been evaluated for tongue tie?

If you think it is your latch, it probably is.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Have you considered calling to see your local La Leche league leader? she can check out your latch for you. Does baby get her tongue out over her gums, can you see it under the nipple a little bit? Has she been evaluated for tongue tie?

If you think it is your latch, it probably is.
    I have tried to look at her tongue, and whether her bottom lip is the way it should be, but there is no way possible for me to see it around my enormous breast! I feel like I am trying to lick my elbow.

Would a LLL leader come to me? Or do they just help at meetings?

1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

Each leader varies. Because they are full time moms and also LLL volunteers, they work around their families. What area are you in? Here is a link to a leader near you:http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

Here is a great non-LLL video that shows why white nipples happen with a shallow latch. http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/v...LatchOnEnglish

I am also now thinking about breast size and some of the difficulties that can arise. Are you able to position your breast so that it has enough support? Do you own a breast pillow? What positions are most comfortable for you? A baby that is slipping off her latch is going to cause painful nipples. Have you noticed any traveling on the nipple?

Oh oh. Im a mama with LARGE breasts.. I had a hard hard time with DD until I read these websites from another mama who had posted them. Saved my BFing carreer.. here are the links
    http://www.llli.org//llleaderweb/LV/LVMayJun89p35.html
    http://www.breastfeeding-basics.com/...ted_Tips.shtml

Hope that helps! Sure Helped me..

Im actually still having probelms with one breast and a shallow latch. Ive been debating myself on who to contact for help.

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    I am also now thinking about breast size and some of the difficulties that can arise. Are you able to position your breast so that it has enough support? Do you own a breast pillow? What positions are most comfortable for you? A baby that is slipping off her latch is going to cause painful nipples. Have you noticed any traveling on the nipple?
    I hold the breast the entire time that she is feeding, does that count as support? I have been using a boppy, but it isn't really giving me what I need. She seems to fall in the whole in the middle and so I am having to lean forward. I have been switching between cross cradle and football and I tried a little of the side lying. She seems to move around a lot while feeding, but it doesn't hurt other than at the beginning so I thought it was fine.

A little off topic, but she has been nursing every hour or hour and a half today which is not like her at all, I know she might be going through a growth spurt so I am fine with doing this, but at some point will she just stop this and go back to her 3 hours on her own?

1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

Just wanted to chime in here. In my opinion, the Boppy is too soft of a pillow to help LO get up to breast level. If you are leaning forward, you will create a new host of problems..first of which is an aching back. Try the Breast Friend pillow. Nice and firm, and has a lumbar type of support as the pillow wraps around your back.

My LC consultant showed me how to "smoosh" or "smash" LO onto the breast to get a deeper latch. It seemed harsh to me, but worked like a charm. Once you tickle the lip and get a gaping open mouth, using your hand on the upper back/neck of LO, smash them onto the breast, kinda forcing them to get on deeper. It works.....
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet