Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teething, time for weaning?

Question Teething, time for weaning?

My dd is now 15 mos. old and ever since she was 11 mos. old I've partially been ready to wean. Around 12 mos she began teething and biting me (nothing I couldn't handle), but now shes having a teething explosion. Many teeth coming in at once (about time). Shes getting much better at eating solids (never really ate them before a year) and is actually beginning to sleep longer stretches at night without bf. The problem is she is biting everytime I nurse her, she is biting so hard that she sometimes breaks the skin. It hurts soooo much! I tell her no and she literally looks up at me and bites me again. I say no calmly and she unlatches and pouts at me. I let her back on the breast and as she begins to nurse she looks up at me with a devilish grin and continues to bite hard on me. What am I suppose to do about this? Is she self-weaning or something. Because ever since the biting began this time around she does not nurse as much at night (which I absolutely love!). Any opinions or advice is much appreciated! Thanks!!

Default Re: Teething, time for weaning?

Around the same time my son started to do a similar thing. He was biting while looking up at me to see my reaction. I think they start testing. Because of teething she wants to bite but she knows that it may not be an acceptable behavior so she tests your reaction. What I did was once my son bit I would unlatch him and say "no, it hurts and I won't nurse you if you bite me again." Then I would give him the breast. If he bites again I would unlatch him and stop the nursing session. I wouldn't nurse him until the next scheduled time. This happened maybe only once and then he understood. He still takes a test bite when he is teething but after the first warning he stops.

You could also try rubbing her gums firmly before nursing to help ease the pain or letting her suck on something cold like a wet washcloth to numb her up a bit before nursing.

teething does not have to mean weaning but it definitely isn't fun to nurse when they are teething. it does pass though and nursing becomes painfree again- until the next tooth!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I can't really speak on the biting issue, as my DD has only bitten me a couple times, but I would not recommend weaning now. Generally, weaning is only recommended when there is not additional stress going on in LOs life, such as a move, illness, or teething. For an already stressed LO, it would most likely be too much going on at once, KWIM? I agree with the PP advice and warn and then refuse to nurse. That sounds like a fair and resonable response to me! Good luck!

Thumbs up Re: Teething, time for weaning?

thank you all for your suggestions...I think the next time she nurses and bites I will give her a warning and let her nurse again and then if she bites again I will go with the rule that no more bf until next nursing session. We'll see how that goes and if I have any additional questions I'll post back here. Thanks gals!!!

I like the PP idea except, what do you do when they're still tiny and teething? My baby is only 3 months, but I just know she's going to start teething in a couple of months and bite me! I'm already worrying about it. I certainly couldn't not stop feeding her until the next session if we're EBF!

I did hear of an idea and thought I'd bring it up (i'm sure I'll get some heated remarks! HA!) It was in a book and it said when the baby bites the first time (and any other time) to pull their hair. Not severely, but where they felt a little pain and associated the biting with an unpleasant sensation and therefore stopped. Obviously, it might would take 3 times or so. I can just see my baby's face tuning up for a cry and her little lip curling Not sure what I think about this. Part of me thinks it would work and would be an easy fix....What are you guys thoughts?

I don't think that's such a hot idea oklamom! Just because of making causing pain acceptable behaviour. KWIM? I also think your child loses a bit of trust in you when you do things like that.

Anyway, I JUST read something where a mom blew in her child's face when he bit. That surprised him enough to let go.

I always did the 'No' and a pause in nursing. Saying 'I'm not going to let you nurse if you bite me. It hurts..'

My DD only bit me once. When she did it I made a big show of it hurting and I sat her down and walked away. Not saying this would fix everything but it really did work with mine!

Oh and about pulling babies hair I agree 100% with the PP above me. I can't imagine even trying that!
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks

Wow, I've never heard of pulling your baby's hair. I would completely say no to pulling hair. IMO, I think that's cruel. Honestly, I would never inflict any intentional pain on my child.
    My lo got her 2 bottom teeth at 5 months and her 2 top teeth are cutting through right now! 4 teeth before 8 months! She bit a few times when her bottom teeth came in. The first time I was so surprised I about jumped out of my chair. She was so scared it was hard to console her. The next time I told her "No biting". She felt so bad she cried hysterically for a few minutes. I didn't yell or raise my voice at her, I only looked at her and said not biting. I felt horrible. She is still very little and I would never consider hurting her because she hurt me on accident. She hasn't bit again yet. I hope she doesn't, but if she does I'll still tell her no biting. I don't know that she can understand what it means right now but I don't think she likes me to tell her that.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Quote Originally Posted by oklamom View Post
    I like the PP idea except, what do you do when they're still tiny and teething? My baby is only 3 months, but I just know she's going to start teething in a couple of months and bite me! I'm already worrying about it. I certainly couldn't not stop feeding her until the next session if we're EBF!

I did hear of an idea and thought I'd bring it up (i'm sure I'll get some heated remarks! HA!) It was in a book and it said when the baby bites the first time (and any other time) to pull their hair. Not severely, but where they felt a little pain and associated the biting with an unpleasant sensation and therefore stopped. Obviously, it might would take 3 times or so. I can just see my baby's face tuning up for a cry and her little lip curling Not sure what I think about this. Part of me thinks it would work and would be an easy fix....What are you guys thoughts?
    When it starts, they are old enough to understand being unlatched and put down. And even walked away from for 30 sec. The thing is, your child is always learning. And biting will come up more than once in your relationship because every time they get new teeth, the two of you as a Dyad need to navigate. But the reinforcing over and over again "No Biting." And being unlatched from the breast time and time again, is the right way to lead this part of the dance. I am having issues with my 27month old right now. He just got his two year molars and is biting ALOT when he falls asleep at the breast. But he doesn't seem to be able to help it. BUUUUT it's a NICE nudge to get him to fall asleep on his own AFTER the nursing session is over since I have to keep him awake at the breast not to get bit. And so as painful as it's been, I am embracing it. Because finishing and being able to say "All done, now we go night night" and having him roll over to spoon and fall asleep alone is VERY rewarding.
    Last night after he bit me hard enough to make me cry and got unlatched and put down, he walked around a bit, and I said "No more" and he crawled back into my arms and just went to sleep without even trying!!!

Way too lazy for formula