Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: calling all moms whose kids weaned before we were ready for them to!

Default calling all moms whose kids weaned before we were ready for them to!

a support thread! my ds is a few days shy of 20 months, and hasn't nursed at all for the past two days. this comes after weeks of showing less and less interest in the boob. i'm still offering, but am met with "no". when i get a "yes", we get into position and then he changes his mind. i'm finding this hard to cope with, as i had assumed we would nurse well into his 2nd, and maybe even his 3rd year.

he's been less interested in nursing since we nightweaned him at 15 months. from there we went down to three sessions a day, and then two. i had a horrible and long stomach flu a few weeks ago that wiped out my supply. but it came back, even though i'm pregnant. still no interest! although something tells me i have less milk than he likes, as i'm now in my 6th month, and this has contributed to weaning. i fully believed i would be a tandem nurser, and now need to say goodbye to that possibility.

i realize now that by nightweaning him when i had morning sickness, i started the process of complete weaning. i don't regret my decision per se, as i was a more functional mom because of it, but i can't help but feel guilty and wish i had just suffered through it. as much as i tell myself that i did a good job, and that i gave him a precious gift, i'm worried of the consequences of him weaning this early. my concerns run from the very real: will he be sicker now? to the fantastic: if we find ourselves in an emergency situation with no food and water, how am i going to keep him alive? and i admit that i feel like i lose my lactivist "cred" because i'm not going to nurse my son into late toddlerhood. i will be a nursing mom again in a few months, when my younger son is born, and that is comforting.
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC

Default Re: calling all moms whose kids weaned before we were ready for them to!

Poor you! You sound like your hormones are running rampant and combined with the emotional let down of this weaning you're crashing!

You've done a GREAT job. Who knows, maybe when he sees the baby nursing he'll want to join in?
    And if you were in a situation with no food or water, you'd be in trouble too...

Wait and see, who knows what will happen.

Default Re: calling all moms whose kids weaned before we were ready for them to!

thank you for your kind words! i cried about it to dh tonight, which helped.
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC