Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low milk at 3 weeks

Default Low milk at 3 weeks

My son is 3 weeks old. We fed pretty well the first week. Now it seems that my milk is in as well as it was. I'm not experiencing any "let down", and when I pump I only get maybe 2 oz. at the most. I'm worried my milk may be drying up. I talked to his dr., and he told me to supplement until my milk came in good. Now, I'm concerned that he's taking more to the bottle, and that my supply is not coming in as well.

Please pass along any advice on how to get my milk to come in better. I really need some help. There is nothing I've enjoyed more than our bonding time while feeding.

Default Re: Low milk at 3 weeks

, try counting wet diapers before you count the output you get from a pump. Pumps are not reliable when it comes to how much you little man can get. I remember when my lo was going through a growth spurt. she was at the breast constantly and I though my milk was low... she was just increasing it. It is very difficult to have a sudden drop in milk supply if you are feeding on demand and providing no supplements. I would try to breastfeed for all feeding and if you feel like you do need to give the little bugger a bottle I would make sure you pump for at least as many bottles as your giving him. The number one thing I would try and realize is that a pump cant compete with natures natural sucker. so long as the baby has been gaining a good amount of weight. and the output of dirty and pee diapers is good. Your milk is doing the trick. I know that the bottles you are giving him now may be decreasing your supply but with baby to breast all day(babymoon) you can get that milk back up. HTH

the problem with the below advice is that it does just the oppisite, it decreases supply. Hopefully a lll leader or another experienced mom can give you some more advice.
    I talked to his dr., and he told me to supplement until my milk came in good.

kate
    ps sorry for the poor grammar, im too lazy to fix...you get the idea though. glad you found this site. so great
    Last edited by mayberrymum; March 31st, 2008 at 12:47 PM.
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

My advice although I am not an expert would be to not supplement. The more you supplement the less baby will nurse and your supply will go down. What makes you think your supply is low? Because of what you get pumping? I know for me I could never get more than a few ounces pumping until DD was a month or so old and I had been pumping once a day for weeks. Is baby having plenty of wet diapers? Is weight gain good? If so I would think your supply is fine. Good Luck to you!

Mom to Lucy born 11/28/07

, at home and , at work

I agree that a pump is not the best way to determine what the baby gets.

It's all about having enough wet diapers. If the baby is having enough, don't worry. If you are NOT having enough wets, try to stimulate milk production. And the BEST way to get more milk is to put the baby to the breast as often as you can. You can also eat oatmeal and drink mother's milk tea. There are lots of things to stimulate production. There is a whole forum about it further down the page.

If your baby is getting dehydrated, then (and only then) I would consider supplementing while working on increasing production.

Good luck!!!
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

Quote Originally Posted by momofethan View Post
    My son is 3 weeks old. We fed pretty well the first week. Now it seems that my milk is in as well as it was. I'm not experiencing any "let down", and when I pump I only get maybe 2 oz. at the most. I'm worried my milk may be drying up. I talked to his dr., and he told me to supplement until my milk came in good. Now, I'm concerned that he's taking more to the bottle, and that my supply is not coming in as well.

Please pass along any advice on how to get my milk to come in better. I really need some help. There is nothing I've enjoyed more than our bonding time while feeding.
    Hi mama, welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us more about why you feel your milk supply is low? Is there something in particular besides the pumping difficulty? How often are you guys nursing?
    Watching your babies wet diapers is an excellent suggestion. Your goal for a well hydrated baby is a minimum of 5-6 wet disposables and 6-8 wet cloth. In addition if you are seeing at least 3 or so quarter sized poops your baby is most likely getting plenty of milk. How much are you supplementing at this time?

I have been breastfeeding for almost 8 months now and I never get let down. It shocked my mom and my dr, but it is true (and I have a heafty 23lb kid) so don't let lack of let down make you feel like there is a supply issue.

If the baby is growing, and having plenty of wet diapers they are probably doing fine. When they hit a growth spurt they nurse even more frequently.

wearing your baby helps increase milk supply (it actually does! when I would wear my son for a while and then take him out my breasts would have gotten full) and also lots of skin to skin time, which is also great for bonding.

I would assume when you pump you are getting about half as much as the baby would from nursing.

does baby go through a growth spurt around 3 weeks?
    i couldn't remember, but maybe that is contributing to your thoughts that your supply is low.

wonderful suggestions above,
    good luck mama.
    enjoy your babymoon.