Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it ok for him to be sleeping 9 hours?

Default Is it ok for him to be sleeping 9 hours?

Cash is almost 4 months old (April 7) and he's slepeing 9 hours at night so he's only nursing at most 6 times a day. Is this ok? Should I still just watch the diapers? How often should a 4-mo-old be nursing? I'm concerned that he's not getting what he needs. This morning I woke him up after sleeping 9 1/2 hours. TIA
    LLL Leader Cabarrus County, North Carolina

Default Re: Is it ok for him to be sleeping 9 hours?

count diapars
    weight gain
    thats how you know if baby is getting the milk they need.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

I used to lay out 6 diapars in the am and if the baby didn't wet them all by supper time I would try and get them to nurse an extra time before bed.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    count diapars
    weight gain
    thats how you know if baby is getting the milk they need.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

I used to lay out 6 diapars in the am and if the baby didn't wet them all by supper time I would try and get them to nurse an extra time before bed.
    Ok, so I still don't need to worry about how many times he's nursing, but how many wet diapers he's having. If I left it to him, he would only nurse 4 or 5 times a day b/c he likes to SLEEP!! I wake him up during the day to nurse. Thanks.

my lo has since 3 months!! i guess she makes up for it in the day...enjoy the extra sleep!!! (assuming you are getting good diaper output!!)
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

As long as the weight gain is fine, don't worry. My lo was sleeping 11 hrs at night by 4 mths and nursing 5-7 times per day and she is huge, I think around 17 lbs at 4 mths. So enjoy the sleep, it may not last either since you have much more teething and growth spurts to go. My lo has rarely eaten at night since that age but does wake sometimes if she is sick, teething or has bad gas. So she is sometimes up but then gets back to her routine once she is sleeping better. Just enjoy it!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Thanks for helping me feel better about it. He's got good diaper output but I have no idea about the weigh gain. I'll go get him weighed soon. I AM enjoying the sleep!!!

Count your blessings!!!! As long as the diapers are good, let the sleeping baby sleep and enjoy it as long as you can