Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumbsucker!

Cool Thumbsucker!

Maybe I've missed a previous thread about this, but does anyone else have a thumbsucker? My LO is only 3 months old and ALWAYS wants that thumb! My main concern is that I can't tell when she's hungry anymore (by sucking her fingers)? I have to totally watch the clock all day long to know if (from her fussing) she 'should' be tired or hungry 'by now'. It's driving me bonkers. The great benefit is that she can soothe herself Has anyone ever heard as to whether it can interfere with BF? I only wonder since I can't really tell when she's getting hungry like I could before...unless she cries.

Default Re: Thumbsucker!

my LO has his hands in his mouth constantly! I usually watch the clock since he's pretty good about eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I can usually see in his eyes when he's tired instead of hungry.

My LO is 4.5 months and he has been all about his hands in the mouth since about 3 months also and all about his thumb for the last 2 weeks. I too have a hard time knowing if he's hungry or just teething... I watch the clock like pp said since my LO is good at eating every 3hrs but during the growth spirts is when I have a hard time figuring it out...

good luck

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

I think one of the best tidbits of advice I've seen here is "When in doubt, whip it out!" funny but so very true! LOs won't nurse if they don't want to/aren't ready yet, but then if you at least tried you'd know.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

My oldest dd is an avid thumbsucker, has been since 10 or 11 weeks. She nursed for 16.5 months w/o a problem. Your dd will make it clear when her thumb is not what she needs!! And yes, I have always enjoyed the benefits of having a self soother.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Thanks girls! I forgot about that 'look in the eye' of sleepiness. And true, it's always easy to 'whip it out' and see if they're hungry. I've done that a few times only to discover that's not what LO wanted right then. We'll get this figured out eventually...

just when you think you've got it figured out, you LO will throw you for a loop. that's the game my ds is playing right now.

This thread is kind of old but I'm there, too. My lo would never take a pacifier and recently discovered she had a thumb. Everyone tells me it's great that she'll self comfort but it bothers me for some reason -- like, if I were doing a good enough job comforting her, she wouldn't need to? Dunno, but it does throw my fist-in-mouth-feed-me signal out the window, plus she's getting a blister on her thumb even tho I replace it with a teether as quickly as possible. Should I just let her have at it?

Quote Originally Posted by oklamom View Post
    Maybe I've missed a previous thread about this, but does anyone else have a thumbsucker? Yes... we do! She even sucked her thumb when I was pregnant, as I saw it on the U/S! My LO is only 3 months old and ALWAYS wants that thumb! My main concern is that I can't tell when she's hungry anymore (by sucking her fingers)? Yep, I had that same worry! Although, I just offered frequently, if she wasn't hungry, she didn't eat. I have to totally watch the clock all day long to know if (from her fussing) she 'should' be tired or hungry 'by now'. It's driving me bonkers. The great benefit is that she can soothe herself Has anyone ever heard as to whether it can interfere with BF? I have never heard that it "interferes... although, it dosent feel very good when my LO tries to suck thumb, and boobie at the same time!:yikes I only wonder since I can't really tell when she's getting hungry like I could before...unless she cries.

It's funny now, her little thumbs have this rough, calloused (sp?) skin now. It seems she especially wants to suck thumb at bed time and nap time!
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

My LO (9 weeks old) has always been fascinated with her hands/fingers (every ultrasound she was sucking on her hand/thumb/finger) and she has recently developed a MAJOR obsession with it!