Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Big problems with a milk blister

Default Big problems with a milk blister

I've been dealing with a milk blister on my left breast for about 2 months now. My daughter is 3m old and the first month we had no issues. Slowly the blister has grown in size even though I have "popped" it with a needle and also switched nursing positions (was football and now doing cradle). Her latch seems just fine so I don't know why the blister is staying, and continuing to grow. My milk supply in that breast has dropped quite a bit and she now is very frustrated nursing on that side and will pull off after only a minute. Tonight I tried pumping that side while she nursed on the other. Only about 1/4 teaspoon came out and after about 15 minutes of pumping I took the pump off and my nipple was HUGE and extremely hard. I couldn't even squeeze it to try and hand express any milk. It took over an hour to return to it's regular size. I really don't want to give up on that breast but I've only had issues over the past 2 months with it. I've also had clogged milk ducts on and off (usually happening every 10 days or so) the entire time as well. I never had any issues with that breast while nursing my first child so this is all new to me.
    Can anyone give me suggestions or know why my nipple got all engorged?

Default Re: Big problems with a milk blister

Hi mama,
    Was the milk that eventually came out thicker? this might explain some of the hardness. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, nipple blisters are painful to many women.
    Here is a good link to read over:http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html