Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think she's constipated...

Default I think she's constipated...

She normally poops every day, sometimes every two days. I think tomorrow will be the fourth day of her not going. She doesn't drink much water if I offer it. She doesn't eat a lot yet...I've only introduced banana, sweet potato, apple and rice cereal. Apple was the latest thing I've offered (I think this was her third day with it).

I guess my questions are: How long should I wait before I worry about her not pooping? And, should I try to introduce juice or prunes or something, or do I need to wait until she poops to see how she's doing with the apple?

TIA!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Default Re: I think she's constipated...

Banana and rice were BIG problems for my dd1 and caused constipation for the longest. She can eat them now as long as I balance them with some of the "P" foods.

I don't know when would be an appropriate time and you don't want to use it unnecessarily, but suppositories helped my dd get past it. We got the infant kind and we even cut those in half. It usually produced a BM within an hour.

We also used pear and apple juice regularly to help keep her stools moving. The sugar helps the poop stay moist.

How were her stools before they stopped? With my dd, they went from being mushy to being like little dates and then full on constipation.

Strange thing is this time around, dd2's first food was banana and she eats it all the time and her poop has always been super mushy. I don't get it.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post

How were her stools before they stopped?
    They've always been pretty runny... thanks for the advice about the suppositories. She's been a little "grunty" tonight, so if she still hasn't gone tomorrow, maybe I'll call her pedi and see if that would be a good option. I agree I don't want to use it if it's not necessary. She doesn't seem uncomfortable or like she's in pain. hmmm.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Lots of Bf! The Lactose in bf encourages normal bowel function in infants!

Once I got mine to poop with a little diluted apple juice. It just sorta happened this time (we went out of town and I figured it was more trouble than it was worth to try to give him solids while not at home...better enjoy that while I can ), though, that he went a day without solids and just breastfed more. That go him moving really well!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Lots of Bf! The Lactose in bf encourages normal bowel function in infants!
    Except my kid!

We use suppositories now and then as well. They don't enter the blood stream.

Pear juice and prunes definitely have helped.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

I would definitely wait until you HAVE a BM to analyze it before trying suppositories. But I would also pull back the rice cereal and bananas for now as they are known constipators. Apples aren't.

Way too lazy for formula

Prunes helped my lo a lot... formula used to get her constipated but with about 1oz of prune mix with water her not going problem was solve.... I agred BM not always help at least not my lo or at least not as inmediatly as prune juice (which it was also recommended by her pedi)... I will pull the rice too cause its knows as a constipate agent...