Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does Extended BF cause feeding problems?

Default Does Extended BF cause feeding problems?

Hi Guys,
    DS is almost 22 months old. We've had a great nursing relationship (meaning he loves it, I love it, family tolerates it, daycare doesn't complain about it, etc...) Anyway, he refuses most solids- anything that is not a cracker or a cookie. For a long time, I had the mentality that when he gets hungry, he will eat, and that he needs the breastmilk for nourishment. Recently, though, someone said something interesting to me: "How can you expect him to be hungry during the day when he nurses all night?" And this is exactly the opposite of what I had been thinking.

What is your take? Do you think that an almost-two-year-old can survive on just the BM? Do you think that I need to restrict him more (we are once in the AM, once when we get home from work/daycare, bedtime, and 3-4 times at night). Or do I just continue to offer him healthful meals and snacks and hope that one day it all clicks?

We had him evaluated by a feeding therapist who, IMHO, read way to far into things and came up with a whole slew of problems ranging from speech and language impairments to social anxiety, to separation axiety and severe feeding delays. She suggested we contact Early Intervention for a complete analysis and 3x a week therapy at home or daycare.

Anyone out there with a similar experience?

Default Re: Does Extended BF cause feeding problems?

I would suggest this book:

MY CHILD WON'T EAT!

It's not unusual for a toddler to be nursing that much, and I think your instincts to offer him healthy foods and take is lead is a good idea.
    Does he eat well some days and not so well other's? Toddlers are also notorious for "living on air" they really just don't eat much! Thinking of how much he eats in a weeks time, vs a day's time can help.
    I think this book explains a lot of it, and might put some of your fears (and well meaning people with opinions) to rest.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

My son have had similar problems (plus an oversensitive gag reflex). We took him to occupational therapy for a couple of months which helped in terms of teaching us how to offer food and in terms of easing the gag reflex a bit. Eventually he got the hang of it and now he eats a variety of foods (but still nurses at night!). He is almost 21 months.

Check this link out if you haven't already: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ler-foods.html

IMO, stopping or limiting the bm will not necessarily make him eat more (he will just have less of the good stuff )
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey's Mom View Post
    Check this link out if you haven't already: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ler-foods.html

IMO, stopping or limiting the bm will not necessarily make him eat more (he will just have less of the good stuff )
    Great link, thank you!

My little one just hit the 12 month mark, and while she eats solids, the majority of her intake is still breast milk.

As you can see in my signature my DS did not eat solids until 18 mo's. He suffered from severe reflux which led to an oral aversion. DS quadrupled his birth weight in the first year so the ped was not concerned at all about nutrition. I thought we would have better success after a year. My mom often tells me my sister did not eat until a year. He did not start to eat and as a result his iron levels dropped to an alarmingingly low number. Our doctors encouraged me to continue to breastfeed. Breastmilk is far superior to cows milk or pediasure( some peds and gastro docs push this stuff). DS ped felt that the low iron contributed to a lack of interest in food. I wholeheartedly agree. After DS hemoglobin levels went up he developed an appetite and began to eat solids. He still nurses several times a day and eats solids. DS receives services from early intervention. He has speech and occupational therapy. I hope that my too long story(sorry) is helpful. Eating is often a subject of great stress for parents and toddlers. I hope that you and your little one find a solution that works. Please let me know if you have any questions about our experiences. Good luck.
    Last edited by BrooklynMama; March 31st, 2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: terrible spelling!

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by LLLJessica View Post
    Toddlers are also notorious for "living on air" they really just don't eat much! .
    This sounds familiar, my DD 21 mths seems to be living on air! She eats well some days and not other days and BF a lot in the night. I haven't worried about it too much, breastmilk is a food and drink in one anyway and if my DD prefers that then let it be so. And it will always corrects itself if you or your LO decide to stop BF the food will naturally take over. Breast milk is still the best thing your child can get, I let the child take the lead on what to eat if they are healthy enough, b/c they are simply replying to what their bodies are telling them to eat.

You r not alone. Jack is 15m and nurses all day and all night. He too is a big fan of crackers and bread products. I don't feel it is right to push food but I still offer it a few times a day. I struggle with the same frustration- moms are supposed to feed their babies BUT remember he IS eating!