Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 month old not interested in solids

Unhappy 12 month old not interested in solids

My son had his 12 month old well baby check up on Tuesday. He was 32 1/2" long, his head circumference was in the 75th percentile, and he had hit all of the appropriate developmental milestones. Everything was fine until they weighed him, and he was only 23 lbs, which is still in the 50th percentile but is, I guess, skinny for his height. He had been in the 95th percentile for weight until he was 6 months old, and has been dropping since then.

My pediatrician asked me what he was eating, and I told him that I cooked him three meals a day, and offered him snacks on demand. I cook him scrambled eggs, pancakes, noodles, rice, toast, chicken. I offer him lots of cheese, yogurt, avocado, fruits, and veggies. I put butter on everything! He takes a few bites but is generally indifferent to food. He does best with buttered toast and foods that he can eat on the go.

I mentioned that I still nursed on demand, but always offered food first. My pediatrician was very disturbed by this, and wanted to know how often he nursed. I told him that my son usually nurses three or four times a day and once at night. He told me that I needed to cut that down to twice a day and none at night, and that it was my fault the baby did not like to eat food. He went on to say that breastmilk has no nutritional value after one year, and that I would need to wean him if I was unable to get him interested in food.

I don't know what to do! I thought my son was healthy. He is energetic. He has one well formed bowel movement a day, and seven wet cloth diapers. He takes two 45 minute naps a day and sleeps 10 hours at night. He doesn't seem tired or cranky. I have tried to cut out one of his nursing sessions, but he cries and tugs on my shirt.

Does anyone have any advice? I don't want to quit breastfeeding.
    Thanks

Default Re: 12 month old not interested in solids

I think you will get lots of wisdom from the ladies here . . . your story sounds familiar to many. The weight actually sounds good to me! My 11 month old is 20 lbs. he has the opposite problem, loves solids, doesn't like to drink! I think if you are offering, he will take what he wants. He is only 12 months and up until that point it is SUPPOSED to be bm first and foremost . . .so that won't change overnight, transitioning to more solids will take time. I think you are probably fine. 4-5 times a day is really not all that often . . .

Is your DS more mobile now? Walking or crawling, rolling everywhere? That can slow down weight gain too. I believe it's normal.

wow! I don't think your doing anything wrong at all....my daughter will be one on Sunday and we are now nursing 2 times a day as of today but she has 3 meals a day snacks and at least 4oz whole organic milk each day. I don't know how tall she is, at least 28in @ 9mo. but I do know she's only 18 pounds. I think 23 pounds is fine. I think a lot of peds are so confused by breastfeeding that they don't know what they are talking about. Keep up the good work and breastfeed all you want!

wanting3more-
    He has always been very mobile. He started crawling at 5 months and walking at 8 months. The only time that he will stay still is to nurse or read the occasional book.

ByGrace and mhmom-
    Thank you for your kind words. My gut instinct is that my son is doing fine, but my pediatrician is adamant that he is not getting enough nutrition.

I've noticed from many threads that there are many different types of pedis out there. There are ones like yours and there are ones that would say you are doing everything right and your LO is perfect. Your son sounds very energetic and healthy. My daughter was in the 95th percentile for weight and 105th for height until 9 months and then went down to the 75th for height and weight and is still slowing down. They have to slow down there is now way they could keep up when they start to get that active. I don't think you should cut out nursing session, just try to encourage more solid eating. Try, if ou haven't already, full fat organic yogurt (yobaby is great) and cottage cheese. That should fatten him up. You are doing great, and "BM has no nutrition after a year" where do these people go to medical school?
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

My daughter just turned one and she is not a big solids eater, either. I am still nursing her every 2-3 hours during the day and 2-3 times at night. At her 9 month appt. she was at the 40th percentile for height and 3rd percentile for weight. She is very active and I'm not concerned about her weight at all. I think most pediatricians focus too much on growth charts. As long as your child is gaining weight and not losing and meeting developmental milestones, he is fine.

And I would really like to see the study that showed breast milk has no nutritional value after a year, because I'm positive it doesn't exist.

Sounds like your gut is to be listened to over that dear doc Those growth charts have given many moms sleepless nights... the percentiles dont have to "match" If he's been growing at a steady rate, that is what is more important.
    Your doc is like many docs, not very well versed in lacation and thats too bad.

Here a resource link you may find VERY interesting/helpful.
    Extended nursing links

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Um, pardon me if this sounds harsh, but comments from docs like that make me fume.

Breastmilk doesn't have nutrition after one year?

Um, I am pretty sure your boobs don't have a little clock that tells them "oh, its one year now - lets stop producing good milk and start producing crap!"

And, that argument also makes no sense because if the milk had NO nutrition, then your LO would start losing weight rapidly and end up malnourished and sick within a few days, wouldn't he?

If I were you, I would keep offering the solids. At least try. I bet he will take them when he is ready, you know?

And I just might be tempted to get a second opinion from either an IBCLC or even another Pedi.

Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

you know your baby beter then the doctor does!
    I agree with the other moms.
    As long as toddler is nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours they don't need extra cows milk or other milks.
    And that can be true of a one year old or a 4 year old.
    Your son sounds like hes doing well with solids and sleeping well why change things?