Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: avocado??

Default avocado??

when can we start giving avocado to our babies? thanks!

Default Re: avocado??

We started at exactly 6 months. In fact, it was the very first food we gave him. (He was not overly keen on it until we mashed it with some banana and breast milk, but then he loved it.)

That is a good question! I am not sure.. but I looked it up online here is the link so you can check it out.. they said at 6 to 8 months old...

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/avo...odrecipes.html

However - there is a lot of fat in avocado...

What do some other ladies think...
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

We offered it between 6-7 months. It was one of his first foods and continues to be a good source of healthy fats for him.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas's Mum View Post
    We started at exactly 6 months. In fact, it was the very first food we gave him. (He was not overly keen on it until we mashed it with some banana and breast milk, but then he loved it.)
    We just offered it to DS (just a few days shy of 6 months) and he isn't a big fan either. He actually threw it up. I think he just gagged on it because it might have been too thick. I like the idea of mixing it with banana and mommy milk. He loves the banana we offered him, so I'm hoping that will work for us too.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

It was the first thing we offered DD besides rice cereal. She would gag a bit each bite but then want more! I tried doing the baby led thing and cut and gave her a sliver of it to see what she would do with it and it kept sliding through her little fingers when she tried to bring it to her mouth! So cute! I am gonna try mixing it with BM next time!
    since day 1 (Sept '07) !!! so Daddy can feed Mia while I'm at work! because we both love it!

I my Husband and Daughter!!!!

It was one of my LOs first foods (after peas and sweet potatoes, I think), and he still loves it. He would have been between 6 & 7 mos. when he had it.
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

We tried it at 7 months mixed with EBM. Mia loves it and still does but I no longer mix it with anything.
    PS love your LOs name!!!
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

I've always read that it's one of the best starter foods! They say that in "The Womanly Art...", too. Basically, go for it!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

We started around 7 months and at first he didn't care for them. I kept offering and now he gobbles up at least 1/2 an avocado a day. He's tiny for his age, so the fats in the avocado are important.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie