Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing solids

Default Refusing solids

My LO started on solids a few weeks ago. We started with some rice cereal and then oat cereal and then sweet potatoes this week. He loved both cereals and the first two days loved sweet potatoes. All of a sudden for the last two days he hasn't wanted the potatoes. So, I tried a little cereal and he doesn't want that either. He seems fine. His poop has been normal so he's not constipated and no diarrhea. He's been nursing, playing and sleeping fine too. Would teething cause him to not want any solids? He's been chewing on everything. Should I continue to try giving him the sweet potatoes every day or try another veggie?

Default Re: Refusing solids

It might be teething, or he just might not be interested. Try not to stress over it. As long as he is nursing, that is the most important thing. For the first year, eating solids is just about tasting different things, and learning about food. Most of his nutrition will still come from milk. Here is a link to some good info on starting solids:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Hi! How old is your LO?
    My DD just turned 7 months, and she's just now starting to eat solids.
    We did the same as you - introduced rice cereal first, then oatmeal cereal, then sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, pears, etc.
    She would mostly taste each thing, eat very little, push most of it out of her mouth, then nurse.
    Like PP said, keep on nursing - that's what's most important for the first year.
    Now DD eats solids twice a day (about 1-2 ounces each time) and still nurses well.
    I think it's important to keep offering solids once or twice a day just so your LO gets used to the idea.
    Your LO will eventually start eating when he/she's ready.
    Hope this was at least a little helpful!
    and lots of cloth diapers!

Estela Kimberly, born August 31, 2007 and Sasha Julia, born September 3, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by joshmom23 View Post
    My LO started on solids a few weeks ago. We started with some rice cereal and then oat cereal and then sweet potatoes this week. He loved both cereals and the first two days loved sweet potatoes. All of a sudden for the last two days he hasn't wanted the potatoes. So, I tried a little cereal and he doesn't want that either. He seems fine. His poop has been normal so he's not constipated and no diarrhea. He's been nursing, playing and sleeping fine too. Would teething cause him to not want any solids? He's been chewing on everything. Should I continue to try giving him the sweet potatoes every day or try another veggie?
    Some days they will be interested and other days they won't. Just don't push the food if he's telling you he's not into it. He has lots of time to learn about food and try new things. Maybe he's just not very ready to start solids. You could hold off for a week and then try again and see what happens.

My son is 13 1/2 months and still doesn't really eat very much. I'm not too stressed out about it yet as he continues to BF a lot.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky