Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: scheduled feedings

Default scheduled feedings

Does anyone here do scheduled feedings? I've never tried it, but am seriuosly considering it. I know everyone has been against not feeding at night, but I'm a working mom and really need to get more than 4 hours of sleep. I'd like to get him in a good routine. Has anyone else here tried it and been sucessfull?

Default Re: scheduled feedings

I am not sure if this is what you have in mind, but are you thinking that your baby will sleep longer stretches at night if he goes longer stretches without eating during the day?

I have heard, and found from experience, that in order for a baby to sleep longer at night, he probably needs to eat more during the day. DS eats almost every 2 hours during the day, but sleeps okay at night (unless he's teething or having a growth spurt). How old is your LO?
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

One thing worth considering is co-sleeping. That way you both can sleep through most if not all of the nighttime feeds. It doesn't work for everyone, but if you can do it, it's wonderful!

Many working moms need the night time feeds to continue to keep supply up, and it's also a great way to reconnect with the LO after a long day at work.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

I am a working mom too and know how exahusting it can be..

One thing that has helped me with the night feedings is the co-sleeping. My dh will change her first when she wakes up and then my LO will lay right next to me and nurse and I'll fall back asleep. I don't know whether you cosleep or not.. but my dh and I were talking about the whole exhaustion thing the other day and I really don't know how I would function at my school with my kids all day (I'm a teacher) if I didn't co-sleep with my LO. I know that nursing through the night also helps keep up your milk supply.. especially if you are working through the day...

Do you co-sleep? or what is your routine when your LO wakes up?

If you are physically getting out of bed to get your lo you might want to ask your husband to bring your lo into you so you can still stay in bed....
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

my dh is against co-sleeping. he's very afraid of one of us rolling on our son.

my thought is to get him eating at certain times. like i always feed him at 6:15/6:30 before leaving for work. then maybe get him to eat at 9/9:30, 12/12:30, etc throughout the day. he usually goes 3 hours between feedings. i haven't had problems with keeping my supply up; however, i've had the flu for the past 3 days and think it might have hurt t a little. we'll see how this week goes.

How old is your LO? How long and how often do you work? What has his weight gain been like so far? Who does he stay with while you're working?

I work 12-hour shifts, so I know how important sleep is while you're working! We do co-sleep. I understand if you don't. But where does your baby sleep? What is it like if he wakes at night (does he cry much? how long does it take to feed? does he go right back to sleep?)? Have you considered a side-car arrangement where baby's bed is pulled up next to your side of the bed? That way, he has his own space, but it's right next to you so you don't have to get out of bed to feed. Just scoot closer to each other, then scoot apart again.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!