Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: allergy or reflex

Unhappy allergy or reflex

mt little one seems to be having some problems and im not sure where they stem from

first he is only breastfeeding. . . . after the feeding i will burp him sometimes he will burp sometimes he will not. i usually will try for about 10 mins just to make sure. i will then try to lay him down since most of the time he falls asleep when eating any time of the day. he is only 3 weeks.

when i go to move him he seems to spit up even though i will have burped him. . . iat first i thought it was my movements being too fast cause sometimes he would spit up just from me moving him from the football position to the over the shoulder burping position.

he does not seem to be in any pain; there is no crying after eating. but after he spits up he is extremely hungry again. . . and at night he can eat every hour. . . say i feed him at 1am for 30 mins. at 2 he will want to eat again. he will show signs of hunger like eating his hands or bobbing his head looking for the breast and i know that he just ate. his intake could not be digested with in 20 mins? spit up is not all the time; it seems to be hit or miss he also sounds a but nasally however when i suction i get nothing.

the spit up is not just at every feeding it could be 2 hours later because during the day he eats every 2-3 hours. he could be in is swing and i look and there he is spitting up. some times it looks as if it is curdled and it could come out his nose? his breath is sour smelling most of the time.

my mom tries to tell me that yes it is milk allergy how i really dont see the classic signs. like a rash projectile vomiting, or diarrhea. perhaps im wrong but i suffer from food allergies and usually i get a rash as my first sign of a problem. I still think it could be reflux, my husband takes prescription prioselc everyday for this issue and this symptoms seems to match his more. . idk .

Default Re: allergy or reflex

It sounds like reflux. But eliminating dairy from your diet can actually help as well. Best thing to do is talk to the baby's doctor.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Maybe nothing. He could just be going through a growth spurt and wants to nurse a lot, and when he's too full he spits up. Some babies are just spitty babies (to quote my pediatrician)...and some babies nurse a lot for comfort. If he isn't having problems (gas, diarrhea, rash, etc.)...doesn't seem like you have anything to worry about. If he acts hungry, just keep feeding him! It's good for both of you.

The meds for reflux are harmless enough to try if your pedi wants, but reflux is characterized by pain when they spit up according to mine.

ok i just gave him some breast milk just one side i burped him (he burped)
    i then moved him to another position just a little move and bam split up all over me i did notice that he was aching his back and grunting alot to try to prevent it from coming up. . . . . so now he is acting hungry again so i offered him the other breast and he spit up while eating.

on the second side he only ate like 4 mins and it appeared that it all came back up.

im lost . . . .

so now i offered him forulma (regular kind i got from the hospital) only a 2 oz bottle he ate it and nothing up. its milk based. I have a call in to the doc to call me back. what could this be.

do i have tainted milk in me?
    Last edited by trishaw_mps; March 30th, 2008 at 01:40 PM.

Why did you offer formula?? Just asking b/c i was thinking that maybe he was over stuffed... just a thought. I know that if i offer my lo anything more than what she can handle, it comes right up.. but i'm not really sure

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Formula isn't needed, and there's nothing wrong with your milk. With the arching and all that, I still think it sounds like reflux.

It's likely the formula stayed down because how heavy it is, which isn't a good thing!

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

well cause my mom kept saying allergy so it was my test anyway the forulma stuck with no discomfort

so the dr called me back and he thinks it sounds like reflux and that i should feed small amounts 1-2 hours

he said breast is best

he recommended keeping him upright after the meal and elivate the crib on one side
    Last edited by trishaw_mps; March 30th, 2008 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trishaw_mps View Post

so the dr called me back and he thinks it sounds like reflux and that i should feed small amounts 1-2 hours

he said breast is best
    Very good advice. My LO has reflux too, ive gotten used to the spitting up. My doc told me that as long as DS is gaining weight still, to not worry about the spitting up at all.

And YAY for your doc, i love hearing docs say breast is best!!
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!