Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Second time mom's questions

Default Second time mom's questions

Hello everybody. We are expecting our second baby in August. Our daughter Abi only nursed for 4 months. She had mouth surgery and was totally confused afterwards by everything different that was in her mouth, so she began to refuse to nurse, and no matter how I tried with help from the LC and the LLL leader, she wouldn't nurse. I pumped until she was 12 months, as I had 3 months frozen to give her, and my supply was dwindling anyway. I am nervous about breastfeeding again, as it didn't last for long with my daughter. I am hoping to nurse for quite a bit longer with this baby. I have a different work schedule than with Abi. I will work everyday but only 4 hours a day, so this baby won't hopefully be so dipendant on EBM from bottles. My mom watches our babies. She is an RN and a bfeeding mom herself (or was, I should say) so she is an advocate, but I still nervous about experiencing the rejection all over again. Any suggestions to help a nervous mom??
    Colleen

Default Re: Second time mom's questions

Hi Colleen,
    Congratulations on your second baby due this summer!
    What commitment you showed trying to get your daughter to latch again after surgery and then pumping until she was 12 months old!
    You faced a significant hurdle with the circumstances surrounding your daughter needing mouth surgery at 4 months. It's not likely that would happen again, is it?
    When you return to work, you will have a part-time schedule and a supportive & understanding caregiver. You might be interested in some of these stories and articles from New Beginnings about working and breastfeeding. http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBworking.html
    Good luck! Do you have a local Group or Leader to visit or call on for support?

Mary

Hi Mary!
    Thanks for responding. I don't know of a group around my area, but I am more than willing to search and go to meetings. I did speak over the phone to a local LLL before. The LC's at the hospital I delivered at are wonderful- my mom works there teaching bfeeding classes and birthing classes, so we all know each other, and they are extremely helpful, but nothing worked with my daughter. Abi was born with a cleft lip and a cleft in her Alveolar Ridge(top gumline) so her first surgery was actually at 11 weeks, and that's when all the bfeeding problems reared their ugly heads. It took me seceral days after the surgery to get her to latch, but it never went back to how it was, and I miss that anticipatory look on her face she used to give as she was latching on. We have already had one ultrasound, and we are going to have a level 2 ultraound (3d) with the geneticist in a few months. I only pray that this baby will be free of this and won't have to deal with the surgeries Abi has had. I woould love to go to a refresher class for bfeeding before hand. Do you know how I could find one around here?
    Colleen

Hi Colleen,
    I second the kudos from Mary for the commitment you showed with nursing and providing milk for your first daughter. Pumping for a year is a huge accomplishment!

You mentioned a "refresher course" for BF in your area. I can't think of anything better than attending some LLL meetings and telling your story. The Leader(s) there will be happy to take the time to go over things again with you.

Sounds like you have a wonderful support system with your mother and her professional position.

Congratulations on your expected baby!