Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Advise

Default Need Advise

I am new to the site and a new mother.. My son is 7 days old. While in labor, safety required that I get a C-section and I was not able to begin to nurse right away. My son became jaundiced and needed supplimental formula to help clear it up. Now we are home, and having great difficulty nursing. I have been pumping and giving him bottles becasue he either screams as soon as I get him in position or he latches on, gives one suck and falls asleep. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Default Re: Need Advise

mine would fall asleep after a suck too. we fed him ebm with a dropper to get him interested and to get a little in his belly just so he wasn't ravenously hungry and therefore likely to refuse anythign new. It took a couple days to get things going, but now he's a champ. Best of luck to you and congrats on the new little one!

Default Re: Need Advise

Congratulations on the birth of your son! It is certainly possible to get him nursing again. Would it be possible for you to contact a LLL Leader in your area? It would be best for you to have the help of someone nearby who could see you and your son nursing and give you the personal support you need. I think it is great that you are still trying to nurse him. If you don't know of a Leader in your area you can check this link. Good luck to you and take care!

http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html