Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk Supply dropped after a cold help please!!

Default Milk Supply dropped after a cold help please!!

I recently caught a horrible cold. I have fought it off over the last week. I have not medicated myself with anything, not as much as a cough drop! Despite how sick I have been he has only received 2 bottles of breast milk from my husband over a period of 3 days just so that I could get some rest. But thats all. I have nursed my son all this week. But for the last 2 nights since I have been feeling better I have noticed that I am not waking up as full as I normally do. Even with his nomal feeding once or twice a night. By the way my son is 4 months old. Last night he didn't wake up once. He went to bed at 830. Right now its 4 am and he is 2 hours passed his normal night feeding. Not too unusual for him this is in fact a rarity.

He does not have any signs of dehydration so I know he is getting some amount of milk when I nurse but since I am not feeling as full I am wondering how much he is actually getting now.

Can having a cold really do this to your supply? What can I do? I am not ready to stop breastfeeding for at least another 2 months.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Milk Supply dropped after a cold help please!!

lots of moms feal like their supply is dropped at about 4 months...
    Might not have anything to do with your cold.
    Take the baby to bed and get lots of skin to skin contant and your milk will adjust.

that is a common concern of bf moms.Your milk will increase with the baby's demand. mothers milk herb tea is good also andplenty of water and rest so that you body has strenth to replenish .good luck

I will try that and see if it helps. My biggest concern is that I return to work tomorrow and he is not going to have enough to eat. I only have one 6 ounce bottle that was pumped on Friday for him so I am going to have no choice but to supplement with formula for Monday just so he can get by. I am so worried I won't produce enough to get him through the day on Tues. I don't mind supplementing with formula when it is necessary. In fact at 6 months I am going to go to formula full time. I just don't want to bf after 6 months (personal reasons).

Do you think it would be ok to start him on rice or 1st foods now just to help sustain him while I am trying to regain supply again? I am just devastated over this. I have never had supply issues. Ever. I just have this fear that I am going to fall short of my 6 month goal. I feel like I am going to let my baby down.

Get lots of rest and drink lots of water
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spoken4angel View Post
    Do you think it would be ok to start him on rice or 1st foods now just to help sustain him while I am trying to regain supply again?
    If you start giving your LO food to "sustain him" while your supply increases, your supply won't increase. Every drop of something else is one drop less of milk that your body will produce.

Everyone has a different opinion on when you should start your baby on foods and how to do it, but only you can make that decision. Here is a helpful link about when baby might be ready for solids:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

Keep in mind that babies' little tummies aren't ready for solids right off for very good reasons, and by rushing you could cause your LO some discomfort or perhaps even cause allergies. Check out that link and I think it'll help you assess your LO's developmental stage and who knows! Maybe he is ready for some foods!

20 hours of hypnobirthing and I LOVED every second of it!

I had a bad cold at the beginning of march and definitely noticed my supply drop, but it bounced right back with lots of nursing. just keep nursing and drinking lots of water... your body is amazing!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

can you pump to up your supply (esp when he is asleep) I like to pump at night after bedtime for my lo bec I know all that is extra!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

you could try to pump right when you put LO to bed, if baby wont wake to eat for a few hours and after a week or so, youll find that youll start to increase again and have a little stash. May i ask why you are only gonna breastfeed until six months?

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert

Thanks for all the answers. I just bought a whole bunch of tea for nursing mothers. I bought the Yogi tea brand from Whole Foods. I have been pigging out on the stuff. Not to wild about the flavor but oh well. I have been pumping at least 3 times while at work and then before bed after he falls asleep. Then again I feed him in the morning before we leave and then pump before walking out the door. I have noticed a slight upkick in supply. But it has only been a couple of days.

I honestly just don't want to continue after 6months. He is already just huge! He had surpassed his birth weight at his 1 week appt by about 6 ounces and has steadily gained weight since. My babysitter calls him a baby ox because he is just getting huge! Not only that but I plan on returning back to school this summer for my bachelors degree. (i want to be a doctor) and I will be taking night classes while working full time. And I just want to enjoy him after all my hard work. I get sad when I think about quitting but I just don't have the energy. It is hard work working a full time job, pumping, making sure he is getting plenty of breast milk, storing, sterilizing, cleaning, and the list goes on and on. I am just tired and need a drink! No seriously I just want to have a glass of wine with dinner without worrying about pumping and dumping. It takes too much out of me to produce what I got I sure ain't going to let it go to waste!

By all means though keep the suggestions coming I am not going to stop short of my 6 month goal.