Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need some advise

Default need some advise

my almost 3 week old son isnt staying on for very long 2-5 (im lucky to see 5 min.) he falls asleep or delatches. i try getting him back on (changing diaper, burping, tickling, moving legs etc) to get him to wake back up. so after 20min or so of trying to get him up i give up. if at night i put him back in his bassenet and a few min later he wants to eat again. is there any advise on how to keep him latched on longer without making a production number out of feeding. he does this during the day as well. he used to stay on for 30-45min. im afraid im going to loose milk. i had a hand pump but it broke. (i went through 3pumps with my first -bad luck or something) i dont wanna loose milk supply cos in the rare case he does stay on for 10 min i hear gulping every 3rd sucking. im frustrated.

Default Re: need some advise

thats normal at his age . R u drinking plenty of water? I would change him before I feed him to stimulate him so that he is fully awake before nursing ,or some sort of delay.Mothers milk herbal tea works for milk production and get a good pump.Dont worry your body and his are still conected, they will soon alinge .Just rest when ever he does and let others cook and clean for a while. thats what I did.good luck

my son did the same thing... I did the same as you - panic. But I spoke to 2 diff peds who said a suffecent sucker can completely empty a breast in as little as one minute. you need to get access to a scale that has pounds and ounces. Weigh him BEFORE feeding him then feed and weigh again. Doesnt matter if he is dressed or not as long as he is wearing exactly the same thing diaper and all in both weights. Either both naked or both fully dressed in -- ya know what, just strip him lol its easier to explain in here. Anyways then find the difference of the 2 weights and it will tell you exactly what he eats in the small amount of time he eats.

Mine still only eats for 5 mins on one breast each feeding. I weighed him before he was 11 lbs 15 oz. Weighed him after his 5 minute nurse he was 12 lbs 2 oz. so in 5 minutes he drank 3 oz. and a baby my sons age (6 weeks) should drink between 2-4 oz at a feeding. So, I was able to relax and trust in my boobies!

As for the feeding all the time! GET IN LINE! Just a few weeks ago I was asking the same questions and now I feel confident to help others. and we are in a fantastic nursing schedule with no training. I nursed anytime he was hungry. even when it was every 10 minutes *rolls eyes* and now he eats at 7am, 10am, 2pm, 5pm, 9pm, 11pm and sometimes but not always at 3-5pm depending on the night. if you do the math. 5 minutes a feeding times 7 times a day/night thats only 35 minutes out of a 24 hour period. and he has gained weight stead at an adverage of 2 oz a day. --Now keep in mind this is MY situation. But I wanted to show you in only 2-3 weeks what you can possibly look forward to if you hang in there.

My daughter was a very quick eater early on. Like the pp said, a scale can give you peace of mind that your LO is eating enough, but wet and dirty diapers will tell you the same thing. I had a scale for the first month or so with my daughter, and it made me feel better, but I also fretted over it more than I needed to. My daughter was also very sleep for the first month. She frequently fell asleep while nursing. I honestly think she wasn't hungry a lot of the time. My LC advised me to nurse every 1.5 hours ... she didn't want it that often. For the first month, she only wanted to eat every 3 hours, and she gained about a pound a week.

Some things I did to keep her awake at the breast were ... always undress her down to the diaper before nursing, tickle or blow on her feet, sing to her, and read to her while nursing. I also read that bright lights can make a newborn want to sleep more, so I always kept the lights dim. Good luck! It's hard at first, but it gets much easier!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

thank you all. your advise will be used. its just frustrating to feed every half hour/45 for him to eat for 2 min or so.