Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nyquil?

Default Nyquil?

I have a cold and will be sending my son over to his grandmother's for the night (with a supply of EBM of course) so I can sleep well and fight the virus. if I take one dose of Nyquil tonight how long might it take to get out of my system and thus out of my milk? I'd put a call in to my Dr but they have a 24 turn-around for phone calls. Anyone know?

Default Re: Nyquil?

I don't know about Nyquil but I know that Sudafed is safe for BFing and can knock you out for the night. Then you wouldn't have to pump and dump or worry about it at all. Feel better!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

In light of the fact that your nursing, though many meds are safe to nurse while using, you really want to only medicate the most "obnoxious" of your symptoms. Nyquil does have 3-4 ingredients... what is really bothering you the most?? You might be able to just take a 1 ingredient med

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Did a little looking and it seems one of the ingredients of NyQuil (Doxylamine) is considered an L4 (read more about the Lactation Risk categories here) And since there are other Antihistamines that are more compatable with nursing, I'd steer clear of NyQuil
    More info on cold meds here
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.