Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much milk is enough? I can't pump enough...

Default How much milk is enough? I can't pump enough...

This is my first time posting here My daughter will be 9 mo on 7/12. I leave two 5 oz bags with her at day care. She breastfeeds from me in the morning before her breakfast, and she also has breastmilk mixed in her cereal with her breakfast.

For a while, I was pumping WAY in excess, and I ended up giving 40 frozen bags of my breastmilk to a friend who was pregnant and still had a 9 month old who needed milk. I reduced how many times a day I pumped in order to reduce my supply (I was very engorged in the mornings and it was very uncomfortable). Now, I wish I hadn't reduced my pumpings. I am barely pumping out the 10 oz. that my daughter uses every day at day care plus what I need to make her cereal in the morning. There are somedays I am only able to freeze one 5 oz. bag. I am pumping in the AM after she is finished feeding (usually about 3 oz.), then I pump once at work (usually about 4 oz.), and once before bed (usually 4 oz). I'm afraid my freezer supply won't get me through until she's ready for cows milk.

I guess my question is this: Is this normal for a working/breastfeeding mother of an almost 9 month old? Will my milk supply stay this way (barely enough) or continue to decrease? Since she's so close to being one (I'd like her to have breastmilk until she's one and can have cows milk), is one the definite age to give a baby cows milk? The other day I broke down and made a bottle of formula just to see if she would eat it, and she didn't like it at all. In fact, she threw up her lunch That just scared me more thinking that if I can't make enough breastmilk for her until she's one...I dont' know what she'll be able to drink

Any advice to help me sort out my first time mother worries would be appreciated.
    Last edited by CaitlynsMom; July 4th, 2006 at 10:32 PM.

Default Re: How much milk is enough? I can't pump enough...

I feel the same way. I just went back to work today and only pumped 6 oz. I went to the dc and breastfed my 9 wk old. And bf the rest of the day. I do have a supply that I have frozen but am afraid I am going to dry up? Help... any suggestions.

Thanks.

Is there a way you could squeeze in a couple of extra pumping sessions each day? Make sure you are pumping at the same time each day too.

HTH!

i had the same problem at the same time, dd is now 11.5 months.

i started drinking three cups/day of mother's milk tea( Traditional Medicinals--you can find in health food stores). after just two days on the tea, i was putting out about 2.5-3.0 oz more per pump session. since then, i've maintained my supply, although occasionally i have to top off with extra milk i pump on weekend mornings.

i think once our babies are on solids, milk supply naturally drops off. plus--they are just so distracted with everything that they don't drink as well as they did as newborns when our breasts were their whole world!

try not to worry too much--i did and it made my milk decrease that much more.

good luck you'll get through this.

I have a busier schedule than normal this week and have not been able to pump enough for one day's worth for my ds. I am trying really hard not to stress about it, even though I have a little supply in the freezer.
    Tommorow, I will spend most of the day with him and will pump as much as possible. I don't pump at the same time every day though. Is that really a necessity?
    Wednesday I will be gone from 9-12:20, I will go to the dc and feed him and then from 1:30-4. That means I will need 2 bottles for ds. I could feed him once at the dc at 8:45, but I really don't think he could hold out until 12:30.
    Thursday, again I can spend most of the day with him and pump as much as possible.
    Friday, I will be gone from 8:00am until 4:00. How will I get enough milk for these days? I am barely pumping enough in one day for a bottle.
    I have been drinking more mother's milk tea and started fenugreek again.

You can add in another pumping, or pump one side while baby nurses on the other. Make sure your pump is working well. Sometimes, a change to a different pump for a week can boost your supply. Or, change how you're pumping - change your routines.

Here's more info on boosting your supply...

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBmilksupplyissues.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Well, we have made it through this week so far. Wednesday, the babysitter gave DS the only expressed bottle of milk that I had to get him to sleep???????? Needless to say she will probably not be watching my son again. Thursday we spent the day together. Tommorow, my mom's bf is going to watch ds. I have 1 bottle already and if it comes down to it, I have some in the freezer. I am not worried anymore. Plus, I will have a LONG lunch break from noon to two. I will rush home to ds and feed him then. Then I have one more pt at 2 and will be back home by 4. So that means he should only need one botle around 10:30 am. I will feed him at 7, before I leave.
    LLL Shannon, thank you for the additional info. I am home with ds all weekend and I think we will do a nursing/pumping vacation. That way I can get my body readjusted to the pump, increase my supply, and add a stash back into the freezer. I am SOOO looking forward to this weekend with my lo.

I love those nursing vacations. It's such a great time to bond!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I just started back to full time work 2 weeks ago and am worried that my supply is drying up because I have had a similar problem of not pumping enough milk to leave for the next day. I have heard that you are suppose to add an extra pumping session into the day, but I am wondering how this works to increase my supply. I did add a pumping (although they are not all at the same time... that seems almost impossible with my job), but it seems to me that this extra pumping session and the following usual one end up providing the same amount in total as I would have gotten if I had just done the one.

I would love any helpful hints on what to do to keep my supply up or to even possibly increase it.

Also, can you explain to me what a nursing/pumping vacation is and why it is good?
    Last edited by atodhunter; July 18th, 2006 at 11:51 AM.

Adding in a pumping session can be helpful, because it will train your body to make more milk. Most mothers find that it takes several days, up to a week to show results.

For lots of information about increasing your supply, read the articles here: http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBmilksupplyissues.html

What kind of pump are you using, atodhunter? You can try leaving the pump running, even after you see that the milk has stopped flowing, to get another letdown. You can also add in pumpings at other times of day, i.e., pump one side while baby nurses the other.

A nursing/pumping vacation is basically spending several days doing nothing but feeding the baby. Not stressing about getting things done, just flopping into bed with baby, and nursing on demand. Mothers who are trying to increase their supply sometimes add in some pumping sessions, to store up milk for the next week of daycare, and increase supply. A few days of this can be very relaxing for mother and baby.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader