Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to produce more milk?

Question How to produce more milk?

My son is 3 wks old today. Just a couple days after he was born, my milk came in and my breast were big and I even felt the need to pump a couple of times. Though, for the past week and a half I can't seem to produce enough milk for him. He was constantly feeding. He would eat, and then wake up an hour later starving. We took him to the doc, and he said that he isn't getting enough. I've started trying to feed him more and longer at each setting, but it doesn't seem to be enough for him. One night I fed him for 2 hours straight, tried to put him down and he started screaming. So I thought I'd give him a little formula. He sucked 4 ounces down like it was nothing.
    I've read different things about how to produce more milk, ex: pumping and feeding more will help your body produce more milk, drink plenty of fluids. Well, that doesn't seem to be the case with me. I can't even get two ounces out of one breast. I drink water constantly. I'm starting to get extremely frustrated with myself and the whole thing.
    If anyone has any suggestions, please, please pass it along to me!

Default Re: How to produce more milk?

We just finished that. 3 weeks = growth spurt and constant feedings! Get yourself a soft chair, bottle of water, snack and a magizine! because you will be nursing around the clock for about 3-4 days! Then he will go back to sleeping most of the time! and so can you! lol Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Mommyofmyboys; March 29th, 2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: to add... CHECK ME OUT!! I am advancing into GIVING advise not just taking it!!! this is my 3rd one today!

Agree with PP. My LO ate nonstop. Every hour for about 4 days. What is your pedi basing this on. Is your LO gaining weight?
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

Have you tried mother's milk tea? http://www.tealand.com/MothersMilk.aspx
    It has helped me in the past. You can but it at whole foods or your local grocery store may have it.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------