Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: constant breast feeding and attention at six weeks

Default constant breast feeding and attention at six weeks

I figure that this is normal, but my baby constantly wants to feed. He's just reached six weeks and is growing in leaps and bounds (yay!). He mostly feeds until he falls asleep, at which point I attempt to burp him which makes him relax even more. Then I try to put him down for some sleep; minutes later he's up and fussing like he never ate in the first place. I have tried to wait it out for atleast five minutes; perhaps he's just fussing because he can't fall asleep just yet or something. but he's very persistent and I can't stand to hear him cry. I comfort him by putting him back on my breast, where he's on and off. He won't let me put him down. I breast feed him the majority of the day and night, with one or two formula feedings when I'm feeling really really sore. What can I do??

Smile Re: constant breast feeding and attention at six weeks

Hello!
    Join the club! This is me exactly, others will post a reply and they will explain the details. Your baby is doing nothing wrong, I posted the same thing last week practically. Just wanting to send you encouragement, hang in there!

Default Re: constant breast feeding and attention at six weeks

YAY another member!!! We are in that club too! I call it the "DT's from breastmilk, gimme more, ME ME ME" club

Many infants have a growth spurt right around six weeks of age. Here's a link to more info about it: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/spurt.html
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Have you considered pumping and offering breastmilk in bottles when you need a break? That way dad or other family can take part and you can keep up your supply. Adding formula can at times make it harder to keep up the milk supply, because the baby is taking less from the breast, and it's the breast that is emptied that signals the body to make more.

Some experts have also talked about how supplementing with only one bottle of formula per day can have an impact on the baby's digestive system.

http://massbfc.org/formula/bottle.html

That's why a lot of people avoid supplementation with formula unless the LO is severely underweight and/or for medical reasons can't get breast milk.

No judgment, just wanted to let you know....

As I recall, my LO was feeding all the time right around then too. Sometimes for a few days and up to a week, the LO eats and eats and eats to get nourishment and secondly to signal the boobs to increase supply. Of course, being with mom is comfortable, cozy and a favorite place for LO. Sometimes babies really need to snuggle, too.

I ended up pumping and having dad and family give breast milk bottles so LO could have lap time, nurturing and nourishment from other people too. It really helped dad bond with her.

If your nipples are hurting a lot, check to make sure that your LO is latched on properly. WIDE mouth, lips splayed will make sure LO is getting areola, not just nipple which will reduce pain alot and ensure LO's getting milk efficiently.

Of course, it can feel overwhelming to have a baby need you 24/7 and not have a moment to yourself. Enlist help of family to support you and if necessary hold baby while you pamper yourself!

I wanted to add.... We are there too so my life line is my sling! He san sleep, I can sit here like I am now, I can make something to eat---and actually eat it in peace!

Have you tried taking a bath together. He gets that familuar feeling of the womb (water) and also the skin to skin contact. You can nurse in the tub for extra bonding and security. then try a nice lotion/oil rub on LO a fresh diaper, warm jammies maybe even a good swaddle and its off to dream land! It works for us! Wouldnt hurt to try it. At least you get your weekly bath and some rest time!

Thanks all for the support and advice. As far as bathing with my LO, I'm a little nervous about it 'cause he's so wiggly and tiny. He's not one for baths, either. Most of the time I've gotta keep him immersed in the water or else he screams bloody murder. I don't know, perhaps I'll give it a try.

He's been pretty mellow the last day, eating and sleeping as usual. Perhaps he was just going through a one day growth spurt or something. It's good to know that other moms are going through what I am. thank you!

One thing that might be happening is that your LO is having an upset tummy.

Sometimes babies can't distinguish between the feeling of hunger and the feeling of an upset tummy so they think they need to eat when really their tummy is just hurting.

If your LO is chronically fussy and keeps up this always-eating pattern for a long time, perhaps consider an elimination diet?

(My LO had a growth spurt right around 6 weeks as well, though, so if it passes soon it was probably just a growth spurt)

20 hours of hypnobirthing and I LOVED every second of it!