Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't win!!

Default I can't win!!

Ok at 1am LO started vomiting again! he vomited 3 times and had 6 massive diarrhea diapers between 1am and 2am! So, off to the ER we went. turns out he is having side effects or possibly an allergic reaction to the Ery-tab med I am taking for this mastitis. I asked the dr if he could prescribe me with something else and he said no because ery-tab is the best thing for me and I have to get myself well so I can care for him. SOOO, He said Pump and dump since LO cant take it. I have a freezer stash of only 12 oz. I tried giving LO a 2oz bottle of formula and it all came back up! What is my kid going to eat for the next week or so until this med is gone?

I looked mastitis up on kellymom and it said mastitis that goes away in 12 hours doesn't need treatment. Well mine started about 3pm on Wed. and by Thursday morning I was feeling better before my OB called in the meds. You think I should just stop taking it? since it went away with in 12 hours. then I can pump and dump while using my whopping 12oz freezer stash then continue nursing and hope its out of my system??? -- I didnt think to ask this until I was on my way home.

Default Re: I can't win!!

how old is he again?
    maybe you were just sick and he caught it...was anybody else in the family sick?

He is just shy of 6 weeks. No one else here has been sick since he was a few days old but that was head colds.

thats a hard one.....

I am so sorry
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

WHy don't you e-mail your question to Dr. Sears or Dr Newman?

Way too lazy for formula

I would go see another Doctor. If YOU were reacting to the ABX they would switch them, right?

It sounds like that ER doctor didn't understand the breastfeeding relationship and the need for your LO to NOT be vomiting. Some people just assume while you can't BF you can offer formula or something. They don't get it.

Personally I would stop taking the medication, but thats just me. I would go back to your Dr instead of the ER. Or call your child's pediatrician.

Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Just so you know, I double check pretty much everything a health provider tells me, either through a second opinion or my own research.

The antibiotic given to you can kill a variety of bacteria and treat a variety of things. http://www.drugs.com/pdr/ery-tab.html

And yes, common side effects are just what your baby experienced! I agree with pp. What if you called and said you yourself were having the side effects? Of course doc would prescribe something else.

When I had a suspected breast infection I was given dicloxacillin which is pretty specific to the type of bacteria that would cause the problem. I looked up treatment for breast infections and sure enough, it was considered a good one to give. The doc said it was safe to take while breastfeeding, yet I still looked it up to make sure.

THEN I consulted a lactation consultant, who told me to do the hot compresses, massage and frequent feedings and see if that resolved it in 24-48 hours.

It resolved by itself. I ended up taking the antibiotics anyway a few weeks later because it kept coming back and thrush wouldn't clear up. The baby tolerated it fine and all is well.

I am certainly NOT telling you what to do, but instead I'm giving you an idea of what other ways these issues have been dealt with.

I've been lucky in that the health providers I've seen have been protective of the breastfeeding relationship.

Another FYI: What helped me bring down the lumpy breast was frequent breast feeding with warm/hot compresses and massage on the affected area. Baby is the best milk removal system. Pumping does not remove milk as well as my baby. By not doing very frequent feedings, one risks engorgement in the beginning, which can over time result in the milk supply going down to compensate.

I am hoping you can find a provider who is invested in preserving your breastfeeding. They are out there.

Good luck, you can beat this!

Just got home from the ped. I love him!!! He said its not the antibiotics. It may be GERD or Pyloric Synosis. I went through all this with my DS1 and it was all neg. I guess my kids are just destoned to projectile vomit from one month to 9 months! Anyways he said "I dont care what any doctor, nurse, website, tech etc says. DO NOT STOP BREAST FEEDING WITH OUT CALLING ME FIRST! I need to know these things and I need to determine whether you should or shouldn't. The only time you can stop nursing without my knowing is if you or him have to have surgery!" Not that he is forcing me to nurse but he is so sick of all these doctors and nurses telling moms to stop and then never be able to nurse as long as planned! He said Nurse until baby is self weaned or he goes to collage. What ever comes first! he then said The more he vomits and is hungry feed him! So what if he vomits, thats what towels, washing machines and bath tubs are for.

So long story short there is no medical reason for it, he just may be a vomity/spiter upper and dont let that stop nursing!!!

Oh and in 22 days he has gained 41 ounces!!!! He said that is OUTSTANDING for a breastfed baby!!! its a adverage of 2 ounces a day!!

I will have to call the oncall OB. Mine is out of town. UGH! But he perscribed the Ery-tab because I am allergic to all the "Cillins" he said this was the next best thing. Im also allergic to Sulfa.

Oh well, The ped helped and I dont know what really happened but all of a sudden LO just stoped vomiting! Strange. Possibly a stomach bug that was pretty much gone by the time we got to the ped so he couldn't diagnose it! *shrug* But he double checked and said the ery-tab is ok to nurse. It does come out in BM but its such a tiny amount that it cant hurt him. If not anything it will help him too.