Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Near tears- help

Default Near tears- help

I posted a few days ago about nursing while i was very sick with the stomach flu. I thought the difficult part was over and was giving myself kudos but even though i am feeling much better i think being sick did a number on my milk supply. Before i got sick i could definately feel let down sensations and the non nursing breast always sprayed or leaked a significant amount of milk while my lo was nursing from the other side. Let down also happened within a minute or two of her starting to suckle. Now i feel no let down sensation and there is no leaking from the other breast and it doesn't seem like any milk starts coming for several several minutes, and when it does it does not look or sound like much (less swallowing). My lo seems to be frustrated and pulls at my nipple. Today i was near tears in frustration b/c she was so upset trying to nurse and nothing seemed to be coming out. To make matters worse she kept pulling off the breast which i know does not help any. I read on this board before somewhere about breast compressions which can help get your milk going can someone direct me to that information.... also is there any thing else i can do to jump start my milk supply again?? Has any one else gone through this after an illness?? I am so worried that i will have to start supplementing and i dont really want to. Thanks

Default Re: Near tears- help

I used fenugreek to get my production back up during illness or growth spurts. You can find it at many healthfood stores.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Fenugreek does work but watch your LO for signs of stomach problems.

Have you tried oatmeal as well?

Your supply CAN go back up again. Just have faith that it will and put the baby to the breast as much as you can. I know it's really worrying. But don't worry because that can affect your supply as well!

Best of luck to you...

Are you drinking lots of fluids and eating healthy meals and snacks during the day? Having oatmeal for breakfast can help your supply. Fenugreek also worked for me.

Here is a link to Dr Jack Newman's information on breast compressions:
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...=35&Itemid=205

Here is another link with other useful handouts from Dr Newman:
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...139&Itemid=202

Here is a link to the videos from Dr Newman with tips on breast compression:
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=18&Itemid=42

It is frustrating when we hit bumps in the road so early in the breastfeeding relationship. But you can make it through this!

How old is your LO?

It can take a little while after sickness for your supply to bounce back. Your body just got over fighting infection/virus/illness, whatever it was. Its now repairing and renewing. I found that drinking LOTS of water really helped and being sure to rest as much as possible and eat healthy meals and snacks.
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; March 28th, 2008 at 08:58 PM.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

fenugreek (3 pills 3x/day) and LOTS of water helped me A LOT!! and always when I pump (and sometimes breastfeed) I massage the breast toward the nipple to help get more of the milk out!! it does help!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Hi jlk51496,

Will exclusive pumping be possible...My son has troubles with latching. I am just wondering whether pumping alone will be possible?

Hi mj4330,

Sorry to hear about ur problem. I had to be hospitalized within a week due to stomach related illness and was on antibiotics for three days. At that time I was told not to bf my boy and was asked to pump and dump. I felt very weak and simply expressed my milk and dumped the same at hospital. I came home and took plenty of rest and slowly I started to pump and took a while to re-lactate. Till today I am not yet successful with bf my boy but able to meet atleast 75% of his needs with breast milk.

Since you are nursing a lot, I am sure you will be able to get back your supply! Take lots of oatmeal, fish (this worked for me) too!

Quote Originally Posted by mj4330 View Post
    I posted a few days ago about nursing while i was very sick with the stomach flu. I thought the difficult part was over and was giving myself kudos but even though i am feeling much better i think being sick did a number on my milk supply. Before i got sick i could definately feel let down sensations and the non nursing breast always sprayed or leaked a significant amount of milk while my lo was nursing from the other side. Let down also happened within a minute or two of her starting to suckle. Now i feel no let down sensation and there is no leaking from the other breast and it doesn't seem like any milk starts coming for several several minutes, and when it does it does not look or sound like much (less swallowing). My lo seems to be frustrated and pulls at my nipple. Today i was near tears in frustration b/c she was so upset trying to nurse and nothing seemed to be coming out. To make matters worse she kept pulling off the breast which i know does not help any. I read on this board before somewhere about breast compressions which can help get your milk going can someone direct me to that information.... also is there any thing else i can do to jump start my milk supply again?? Has any one else gone through this after an illness?? I am so worried that i will have to start supplementing and i dont really want to. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chicagomommy View Post
    Hi jlk51496,

Will exclusive pumping be possible...My son has troubles with latching. I am just wondering whether pumping alone will be possible?
    It worked for me when I had LOTS of latching issues in the beginning! just as long as I pumped every 3 hrs even through the night (stopped the middle of the nights around 3 mo)...then for the heck of it at about 3 months I tried to get her to latch and she did!! So since month 3 we do both!! But she really only likes the breast in the morning when I am at my fullest, so we bottle feed EBM the rest of the day!!! its become a routine and why mess with it ya know??

In the pumping forum there are other mothers who exclusively pump successfully!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!