Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: poop still green.. help please!

Default poop still green.. help please!

I dont know what to do.. if I should worry or not. My baby is producing lots of poopy diapers all day, probably about 10!! But they are all green. They were yellow but then turned green about a week ago. They look and smell the same as the yellow ones but are just green. I didnt worry too much the first day but its been a while now... She seems happy and content. And seems to be gaining weight fine. So should I try block feeding or any of that??

Default Re: poop still green.. help please!

The foremilk in the breast is higher in lactose than the hindmilk. Lactose stimulates the digestive system so the poop goes through faster and doesn't get as digested ( thus the green color). So if your baby is getting mostly foremilk while nursing this could be something relatively easy to correct. Do you feel as if you have a lot of milk - feel engorged? Maybe you are switching sides often and baby is having trouble getting the the fat rich hindmilk?

Can you tell us more about how a nursing session goes for you? How often, one side or two ect.

Have you changed your diet recently? Eating lots of green or purple veggies, or something with a lot of food dye in it?

Most often, green poops are indicative of oversupply. Did baby just have a growth spurt? A growth spurt would have raised your supply, and now that he's got what he needs, the milk supply is higher than he needs, so you've got what's commonly called an oversupply problem.

A milk intolerance can manifest as green poop in baby, but that's pretty rare. Much more often, green poop is from oversupply or colored foods.

I once heard a breastfeeding-friendly doctor recommend wearing sunglasses when you change baby's diaper, if baby is otherwise happy and growing and thriving.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

lol i like that about wearing sunglasses!! A typical nursing session goes like this,

baby takes a couple of tries to latch on, meanwhile spraying milk everywhere! finally once we're latched she sucks vigorously for about 2 minutes, then slows down. She usually pulls herself off after about 7 minutes total. I burp her and then usually put her back on the same breast. We again take a minute to get latched but then once she's on she stays on for a while, sometimes even 20 more minutes! If she's pulling off a lot, and fighting me, I burp her again and then put her on the second breast. She does spit up a lot lately. Almost after every feeding. Thanks for the replies!

If it is oversupply anything I should do? Or it will even it out on its own eventually?

Sounds like she might be doing her best to deal with a plentiful milk supply. Like LLLShannon says an oversupply issue is most likely the cause. If she is on for 20 minutes I have great confidence she is reaching a good amount of hind milk Have you done any reading on block feeding? I might try it for three or so days and see if it helps. Block feeding is when you feed off the same side two times or so, in a row before you switch, or when you choose a block of time such as 4-6 hours and nurse off just one side.

Some reading for you: http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVSepOct95p71.html

Link to LLL publications of over active let down and milk over supply: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBmilksupplyissues.html

let us know what you think.

Okay I read that article and I think we def have an oversupply problem on our hands! I had thought so by reading some other posts, and I have actually been trying more to nurse her on just one side for a couple of feedings, but lately she's been on the one side so long and then burps and still seems to want more! So I give her the other breast and she eats for just a few minutes, and then seems satisified. I have also been letting the milk flow into a towel when she comes off and its spraying everywhere. That seems to help with her fighting at the breast. But just wanted to let you know, I just changed her and her poop was waayy more yellow!! Still slightly green, but more yellow than it has been! So I think it's working. I think we are also experiencing a growth spurt, because she is eating SO much lately! Thanks for the link to that article, it was soooooooo helpful!!!