Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will he forget how to nurse?

Default Will he forget how to nurse?

My 6 week old has been sucessfully going from breast to one or two bottles a day. Well, with all our problems lately ( see Weird Pains thread) he has been almost on exclusive bottles. I nursed yesterday around 4 or so, so about 24 hours ago. I am afraid he is going to forget how to nurse.

I am trying to give my nipples a break to heal, but will it just hurt more when he starts again? And I don't want to give up, but I am afraid he will find the bottles easier and give up himself.

Default Re: Will he forget how to nurse?

Have you contacted a LLL leader near you?

I understand your concern, and I feel for your dilemma. Nursing, from what you have told us, is damaging your nipples and causing intense pain, but if you keep bottlefeeding he may develop such a strong preference for the artificial nipples that he refuses to nurse at all. I'm sorry that things are so rough for you.

Have you been able to contact a LLL Leader or an IBCLC in your local area? Latch/positioning problems are much easier to figure out in a face-to-face session with someone skilled in lactation support.

Hang in there -- chances are good that with the right information and support, you can get through this. Is the pain under your armpit any better?

--Rebecca

The armpit pain subsided, but I haven't nursed since then, only pumped. I have gotten a few random pains in both breasts today, but thankfully the bleeding has stopped.

I live in a small town and have a hard time finding LLL leaders nearby. I called one when I first had problems with Abram, but no answer. And had just as many problems contacting someone when I was interested in info on milk donation after my second son died.

Where do you live? Have you used this website to try to find one close? I know sometimes it's hard to try again when you feel like you didn't get the support you needed last time, but there is a board (contact LLL) where they literally have phone#s listed of the women near you. Maybe not in town but you'd be able to contact whooever is closest and if you don't get an answer call someone else. That happened to me. The person who was listed in my city didn't answer and I did'nt want to leave a message. I wanted help NOW! So I called the two neighboring cities. 3rd time I got a live person. She was extremely helpful and extremely supportive. And gave me answers I was able to share with other mothers. It mught be worth it to try again.

I love the name Abram.

My daughter switched from bottle to breast without problems. I don't think he will forget how to nurse.

I'm not sure how extensive your nipple damage is, but I remember that mine healed very quickly and we were able to continue nursing after resting for a short time. By 1 month it didn't hurt at all. One person wrote in your 'Weird Pains' thread,

"One thing that can promote healing of damaged skin on the nipples is breastmilk itself. Express just a few drops at the end of a feeding and rub it all over the nipple/areola region, then let it air dry with your bra flaps open. When it's dry, then apply the lanolin. I believe some moms have also gotten relief from gel packs or soothies. "

That is what I did. Did you get checked to be sure you don't have a yeast infection?

Something I did at first to try to combat flow preference is use preemie flow nipples on Dr. Brown's bottles. Before that we finger fed using a SNS.
    Last edited by britebow; July 17th, 2006 at 08:38 PM.

Hey Kristy,

A thread on the other newborn board has some good links about latch technique, so I wanted to make sure you see them:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=4935

Keep working on healing the nipple soreness, and keep working on finding skilled lactation help nearby. I know it can be hard when you're in a small town. I'm glad to hear the armpit pain has gone away; hopefully your nipples will also be much improved very soon, so you can work on getting your baby back to breast with a better latch.

Let us know how things are going, okay?

--Rebecca