Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: not sure what else to do

Default Re: not sure what else to do

I have more trouble with an electric/battery pump then I do with a hand one. I think it is the noise, even the best still make a little noise. have you tried any suppliments, like mother milk tea, to see if that would help with increase in supply?
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    I agree that it may be too soon to be away from your child for 2days. If you can't really rework it to have your child with you, you NEED to pump two days worth of milk. This situation really requires your urgent attention because it seems your child has fairly allergic reactions to formula and given that, I can't imagine what two days away from his mother in conjunction with having an allergic reaction to what people other than you trying to feed him is going to do to him, but it does sound like a situation that will be fairly traumatic for both he and whoever is taking care of him. What if he simply stops eating? For us to be dealing with this two day before the day of separation makes me quite nervous.
    DO you have a back up plan?

My back up plan is not to go. Dh is going for work so I got a plane ticket to visit, I have 2 friends flying to be with us and 2 other friends plus my older brother driving in to meet up with us.

I'm really stressed about the entire situation and I feel that your post is a little harsh. I cry every time i pump b/c it doesn't produce, I take fenugreek and it doesn't make a difference. Just wanted to let you know this situation DOES have my attention..hence why I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
    Get some Neocate or Elecare, it's dairy and soy free (unlike the hypoallergenic formulas) and what my allergic kids have taken.

Something that was reccomended to me was doing power pumping for a few days. It should be in the morning and at about the same time in the morning. You pump for 12 mins (hospital grade is the best of course, I used the Lactina for a while), take a 12 mins break, pump again for 12 mins, break for 12, then pump one last time for 12. It's supposed to simulate a growth spurt and tell your body to make more milk at that time. As well as maybe something like Fenugreek just to bring up your overall milk supply for a while.
    Thank you, I will try to power pump! I have been taking fenugreek but just found out I wasn't taking enough. So now I am upping my intake on that also.

Isn't there any way you could bring your baby with you? Breastfed babies are really portable, especially if you use a sling. I can fit everything I need for a weekend with a little baby in my diaper bag.

I don't think DJ's Mom was trying to be harsh. A lot of moms feel pressured to leave their little babies behind when they really don't want to, and I think she wanted you to know that it is okay to decide not to do it. It sounds like your little one would have a really hard time being separated from you for so long. Is this trip something you really want to do, or are you doing it to make others happy? Would your husband and friends be upset if you brought the baby?

I don't mean to be harsh, either. Follow your heart and your maternal instincts.
    Last edited by Leigh323; March 29th, 2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typo

Just to add some thought to the situation.... You can fly the baby for free on most airlines or little fee as a lap child. we have taken to trips and flew. You can also check ur carseat and take a stoller on the plan and they will have it open and ready when you deboard. The goal of your trip may have been to get away for a few days and be with your husband, which is much need sometimes so taking the baby may not have been what you would like. I am sure that your husband will be happy with any choice you make as long as it doesn't stress you out. Talk to him and see what he suggest. Most important is to make the best choice for yourself so that you are not worried about the baby the whole time or regetting not going. Leaving a baby for the first time can be very stressful and that may be adding to your trouble with pumping too!
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Quote Originally Posted by allisyn View Post
    My back up plan is not to go. Dh is going for work so I got a plane ticket to visit, I have 2 friends flying to be with us and 2 other friends plus my older brother driving in to meet up with us.

I'm really stressed about the entire situation and I feel that your post is a little harsh. I cry every time i pump b/c it doesn't produce, I take fenugreek and it doesn't make a difference. Just wanted to let you know this situation DOES have my attention..hence why I posted.
    I'm sorry you think I was harsh. I am just expressing very honest concern. You don't seem to be responding to several other posts suggesting that you bring your child with you? It seems to me you are viewing this as an "all or nothing " kind of thing. Why is that? Because other people are coming?
    And I posted confusion over the fact that a situation that has your attention isn't being posted about until 2days before "go time"? Based on your overall long term results of pumping I am just alarmed that you are coming here so close to the the time of departure and it makes me nervous and I expressed that. Because I can't imagine that you would think that you would be able to pump enough in 2days for two days when it's taken you a month to get 5oz?
    So I was asking about your back up plan. I'm not really sure how else I could have worded my alarm.

Way too lazy for formula

Well since time is of the essence I think you have about 2-3 options.

But the best is take baby with you. I don't think you mentioned why he "couldn't" go...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Based on what you describe, I think taking your baby is your only option...or not going.

I also would not risk anymore adverse reactions to formula.

I'm taking a mini trip with my soon-to-be, 8-month-old dd in less than 2 weeks. I will wear her and she will nurse as often as she needs. She has never been offered a bottle.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Something else occurred to me that you might want to think about.

You are going to need to be able to express your milk somehow when you are on your trip. If you are unable to remove milk from your breasts by nursing your baby, hand expressing or with a pump, you are going to be painfully engorged before long, and could get a breast infection. You'll need to express at least as often as baby has been nursing if you don't want plugged ducts. Just thought you should have the information.

Answers to questions:

I'm going to vegas, I don't feel it's very baby friendly to have a baby with us on the strip. That is why I haven't considered him going with us.

I can pump --but only when he has missed multiple feedings. Has only happened in the early days when I worked outside of my home for a few days. He normally nurses on demand so that isn't a normal happening anymore.

Dj's mom: Thanks for being so alarmed To answer your questions, I came here for HELPFUL advice, not your harsh criticism. I'm glad that you are so perfect and only give negative advice to someone who is really struggling.

Don't worry, I'm not as much of an idiot as you think I am. I certainly don't think that magic answers will occur on here and I'll miraculously be able to pump like a champion after a few days of posting.

I decided to post a week before my trip AFTER talking to a consultant, a nurse in l&d and a lady who owns her own b/feeding store in my area. This post was a last resort of sorts to see if anyone out there has ever dealt with this and to get ideas.

Leigh: I've tried a sling and eventually sold it. He was too big for it and just never fit in it properly.
    Last edited by allisyn; March 30th, 2008 at 08:18 PM.