Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: not sure what else to do

Default not sure what else to do

I wanted to come on here for some advice. My lil boy is almost 8 months old and is breast fed. I can't pump, can't ever be apart from him more than 3-4 hours because of my pumping issues. I am ok with supplementing formula but he's tried over 7 and he busts out in a rash/hives all around his mouth, chin and cheeks when he has it

I'm only asking b/c next week I'll be apart from him for 2 days and I only have 5 ounces pumped. It's taken me a month to get 5 ounces.

I have 2 pumps, the lansinoh double pump that I stopped using over a month ago b/c a friend let me borrow her medela. I have tried looking at pics of him, being in a dark room, just watching tv to not think about it, pump in the am, pm, in the afternoon. Pump while he's nursing, pump after he nurses, pump before he nurses... I don't seem to produce for the pump at all. I did get one ounce yesterday with a warm compress and then it just stopped.

I've pumped for 40 min before to get 1/2 ounce. I don't seem to have any problem producing for him, he's around 19 or 20lbs so he's certainly taking what he needs

I just don't know if there is something out there I haven't tried yet or if anyone knows of a formula that is for uber sensitive babies?

Default Re: not sure what else to do

I can't help w/ the formula but there are probably other moms on here that can suggest the best kinds for allergy babies.

The pumping sounds very frustrating. Is there any way you can rent a hospital grade pump? Those are pretty mindless and you can just relax while the pump does all the work. You can call your hospital to see if you can rent one for a bit to build up your stash.

Since your baby is 8 MO could you supplement with solids for those 2 days instead of worrying about formula? For 2 days it probably wouldn't be a huge deal.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

We just gave him a similac organic formula and he broke out in a rash. He drank it though and I was just about to try and pump when he threw it up all over the place

I have thought about renting one but thought if the 2 I have don't work, should I really spend the money on another one?! I'm all for it if it will work.....

Have you tried hand expressing? I just started doing that and have been getting more than the pump gives me.

Quote Originally Posted by Irsheyez76 View Post
    Have you tried hand expressing? I just started doing that and have been getting more than the pump gives me.
    Actually I tried that yesterday, it worked good for the first 2 times(sprays) and then nothing else came out.

Quote Originally Posted by allisyn View Post
    We just gave him a similac organic formula and he broke out in a rash. He drank it though and I was just about to try and pump when he threw it up all over the place

I have thought about renting one but thought if the 2 I have don't work, should I really spend the money on another one?! I'm all for it if it will work.....
    There is nothing like a hospital grade pump. You can even rent it for a short time for cheap to see if it works.

Also, have you tried pumping at the same time each day? Usually on day 3 is when you will see the results from the pumping sessions. I also have struggled with pumping! One thing that really works for me is pumping in 10 minute intervals. Do 10 minutes, then stop for 10 minutes, etc. etc.... That was my key, and also getting my mind off what was coming out of the pump. I got an extention cord and sat my butt down on the couch in front of the TV and watched while I got pumping.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I haven't tried it same day... I will do that though. I know I pumped last night at 11:30, so if I can stay awake that long tonight I'll try it

Thanks

Get some Neocate or Elecare, it's dairy and soy free (unlike the hypoallergenic formulas) and what my allergic kids have taken.

Something that was reccomended to me was doing power pumping for a few days. It should be in the morning and at about the same time in the morning. You pump for 12 mins (hospital grade is the best of course, I used the Lactina for a while), take a 12 mins break, pump again for 12 mins, break for 12, then pump one last time for 12. It's supposed to simulate a growth spurt and tell your body to make more milk at that time. As well as maybe something like Fenugreek just to bring up your overall milk supply for a while.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

I know just how frustrating it is to not be able to get a break. I can't be away from my ds for more than 15 minutes without him becoming hysterical, even with dh. He won't take a bottle at all. But, I know it won't last forever and I want to attempt to cherish it as long as I can.

Is there any way you can take your baby with you? Perhaps postpone the trip? Eight months is such a young age to be away for such a long time. If not, I highly recommend a double electric pump, like Ameda or Medela, or a hospital grade rental for the time you are away.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I agree that it may be too soon to be away from your child for 2days. If you can't really rework it to have your child with you, you NEED to pump two days worth of milk. This situation really requires your urgent attention because it seems your child has fairly allergic reactions to formula and given that, I can't imagine what two days away from his mother in conjunction with having an allergic reaction to what people other than you trying to feed him is going to do to him, but it does sound like a situation that will be fairly traumatic for both he and whoever is taking care of him. What if he simply stops eating? For us to be dealing with this two day before the day of separation makes me quite nervous.
    DO you have a back up plan?

Way too lazy for formula