Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hicups... help

Default hicups... help

OK, dd is getting REALLY bad hicups about 5-10 minutes after she nurses... does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them to stop??? she wiggles and yells... they sound painful... I think swallowing helps, but b/c she just ate she refuses to latch.... should i give her a drink of water in a bottler??? she does take a bottle about 3x a week so that wouldn't be an issue... I just feel so bad that I cant make them go away

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Default Re: hicups... help

My LO had them bad, also. Now, at 6 months, she rarely gets the hiccups. Nursing more would usually help them go away, but if your LO won't nurse, you can't make her! I read that hiccups are usually not bothersome to a baby, but I was pretty sure they upset my LO! I would not give your LO water. I'm not sure that would help, and I would stay away from water in an exclusively breastfed baby until closer to 6 months of age ... water in an infant can be scary because it can cause all sorts of electrolyte imbalances. Sorry I can't be of more assistance!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

let her nurse the hicups out or try the pacifier. Those are the two things that worked for my LO.

Good Luck.

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

I used gripe water.It worked almost instantly.My bottle even said it was for gas and hiccups. She had hiccups everytime she ate.She doesnt do it as much any more she is 2 months now.
    SAHM to cameron 4/14/03, angelina 1/19/08. Wife to kevin 5 years. I'm an and cloth diapering with a ton ,But loving every minute of it

Quote Originally Posted by oliviab View Post
    I used gripe water.It worked almost instantly.My bottle even said it was for gas and hiccups. She had hiccups everytime she ate.She doesnt do it as much any more she is 2 months now.
    what she said

Quote Originally Posted by oliviab View Post
    I wish I knew that months ago! DS used to freak out when he had them. He hated them! Now he hardly gets them, but I guess now I know in case we have another DC in the future. You ladies are a wealth of knowledge!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I never thought of the gripe water!! i used it for a few weeks when we were having gas troubles... I'll give it a try... thanks mamas!!!

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

If she will not nurse, I would try a paci or the gripe water. Ds had them all the time at first, but they bothered me more than him. He has not had them in months.
    Nak

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

Showing my ignorance - what the heck is gripe water, what is it for, and where does one find it?

I hadn't heard of it until my baby shower. So far haven't needed it. To the best of my knowledge , it's an all natural preparation that will treat baby for gas, hiccups and digestive problems. It's sold in the baby section of the drugstore as Gripe Water.

I'm sure another LLL mom will chime in with specifics