Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: still struggling with breast feeding

Default still struggling with breast feeding

I need some help...

I have been breast feeding my son since he was born, four and a half weeks ago and it is still painful. most people say it should no longer be painful, but it is. I do not have sores, but it hurts when he latches on - after the latch the pain is less, but it is not comfortable at all. He seems to compress my nipple too.

Nipples are sensitive all the time.

We are both on medicine for Thrush in case this is the problem, but I am not so sure this is the problem - as he shows no symptoms.

Anyone have an idea what the problem might be? I am not sure how much longer I can do this.

Default Re: still struggling with breast feeding

Have you seen your local La Leche League leader or a Board Certified Lactation Consultant? Either can watch you nurse your son and give you advice or tips.

Here are some videos from Dr Jack Newman with direction on achieving the Asymmetrical Latch. These videos helped me immensely!

http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=18&Itemid=42

It also helped to get in person help, I had a lactation consultant watch me and guide me. The extra set of hands helped,and before long, I could do it on my own. I also learned that pillows can come in very handy. Getting baby nice and close to the breast can help. When they are further back it can be tugging on your nipple and causing pain, not to mention strain on your neck, back, and arms.

It is hard just having a newborn and dealing with lack of sleep. Adding pain to that makes it very hard to handle. But you can do this! Lots of women experience pain, but with some good help you can fix it!

Are you using lanolin after and between feedings? It can help with that sensitivity. I also opted not to wear bras and either walked around topless during the first month or so (at home of course!) or wore very loose fitting shirts.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I'd recommend that you see a lactation consultant, since it sounds like someone will have to see what's going on when he latches.

In the meantime, perform a google search for newman and latching...he has some good videos which you might find helpful.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Sorry you're having a rough time getting started! I agree with the pp's that maybe it's a latch issue. Can you describe the pain? Is it burning/itching? It doesn't really sound like thrush pain to me, but it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post

I also opted not to wear bras and either walked around topless during the first month or so (at home of course!) or wore very loose fitting shirts.
    I did this, too and it really helped a lot. I dripped milk everywhere, but I learned to live with that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

im only three weeks in and had the same issue sounds like he is not latching on right

I agree that a bad latch is probably the culprit. If you can't afford an LC, I think you can get wonderful help from an LLL leader, or just show up to a meeting. Plenty of moms there would be happy to help you.

I agree with everyone that this is probably a latch issue...you mentioned that you were not sure how long you could hang on...???

One thing that you can try is using a nipple shield. It is a small plastic thing that you place in between your LO and your nipple and it kind of acts as a barrier and will help with the pain. Word of caution, though...since you are probably dealing with a latch issue, using the shield could confuse your LO or make it harder to get established BF.

But if your choices are give up now or use the shield for a feeding or two until you can get the help you need...use the shield before you quit! And then seek out a Lac Consultant, Nurse, or LLL ASAP!

We're all rooting for you!

20 hours of hypnobirthing and I LOVED every second of it!

im four weeks in to breastfeeding also had the same peoblem where it was toe curling and teeth clinching when he would go to latch on. however two weeks in i noticed that the pain has gone or i become use to it. . . i find that if i sandwish the nipple and bring him to it it works easier, the trick is to get the whole nipple and surounding area in his mouth just not the nip part. i also had to try different positions and finally found one that works .