Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1st Birthday Cake Receipes!?!

Default 1st Birthday Cake Receipes!?!

Hello All,
    Looking for some 1st birthday cake receipes. I was looking for some healthy options but none of them seemed very tastey. I wanted to incorporate berries and wondered if anyone had any ideas. Also need frosting suggestions that aren't so sugary. Thanks!
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

Default Re: 1st Birthday Cake Receipes!?!

Thanks for posting this question, I have been thinking the same thing. Our lo's are only a day apart! Can you believe they are going to be 1!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ByGrace View Post
    Thanks for posting this question, I have been thinking the same thing. Our lo's are only a day apart! Can you believe they are going to be 1!!!!

I get butterflies when I think about it. Her birthday is LESS THAN A MONTH AWAY! I'm so excited!
    C-section

I don't know what I was thinking. Banana Cake!!!! OF COURSE.http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/ba...ayer_cake.html
    C-section

Thomas just turned one (!), and Isksam posted a link for an egg- and milk-free cake recipe that can be adjusted for different flavors (we don't have allergies, but he's only recently tried milk and hasn't had whole eggs yet, and I didn't want something sugary). I made the vanilla version (no frosting), and Thomas loved it.

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org...ed_recipe5.php

I made the carrot cake in the back of the What to Expect The First Year. It is very healthy but I have to tell you it tastes really healthy and is not that tasty. My son who has had only fruit as a sweet liked the frosting.

For DD's 1st bday I made the carrot cake with cream cheese icing from Nourishing Traditions. I would post the recipe, but it's pretty long. Anyway, I didn't have high hopes for it but everyone at least pretended to enjoy it! I really liked that it is not too sweet, especially the icing. Usually cake tastes like you are eating pure sugar!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I made the apple swirl cake from the wholesomebabyfood.com for L's first birthday. You can substitute things like applesauce or molasses for sugar and use something other than eggs for a binder (although I can't remember what the options are right now.) I'll be honest - I didn't alter the recipe much except to add a lot more chopped apples and to put apple juice instead of orange juice. I made myself feel better about using sugar and eggs by using all organic ingredients. L didn't eat any of it.

I forgot to add that this recipe is delicious. I've made it twice since the party for DH and I to enjoy.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

For my niece's 1st birthday I made her vegan carrot cake cupcakes from recipezaar. They're really good close to my Grandma's non-vegan recipe. We did use regular cream cheese icing and boy was she jumping off the roof! There is a vegan icing recipe out there somewhere.
    I'll be making this recipe for L when he turn one.
    HTH.
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011