Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr told me not to feed during the night?

Default Dr told me not to feed during the night?

So my DD had her 4 mo check-up today. She' doing great, gaining weight, hitting milestones, etc. The Dr congratulated me on BFing. The one thing he told me is that at this point when DD wakes at night (usually only once after anywhere from 4-6 hours, eats and falls right back to sleep) that it is not because she is hungry, that it is all behavioral and at this age there is no reason for her to eat overnight and that I should try to cut this out. I am going to do more research but is this something you have heard. When she eats at night she truly seems hungry. I don't want her to get into a bad habit of waking to nurse if she's not hungry but I also don't want to deprive her. Any BTDT moms have advice? Thanks

FYI-We haven't started any solids yet, she is EBF.

Mom to Lucy born 11/28/07

, at home and , at work

Default Re: Dr told me not to feed during the night?

Mom knows best! Go by what you feel, if your daughter seems hungry you should absolutely NOT cut out her nightime feeding. Night feedings can be very important to baby not only for her need to be close to mama during the night but also for calories. Babies between 4-6 months are usually quite distractable during the day with their nursing sessions, and at least for me, I know that my 5 month old needs her nightime feedings, and at this young of an age in my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with comfort nursing even when she isn't hungry.

Here is a great article you might find helpful on this very subject:

http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html

Good Luck!
    and loving it!

First time mom to Rory Anne

Born 10/29/07 7lbs 10ounces

I think this is ridiculous advice. Especially if your LO wakes and eats only once during the night. That sounds more like hunger than a "behavioral" thing. Waking only once during the night at that age sounds great. My pediatrician said a four month old who sleeps four or five hours during the night is doing great. This advice you got reminds me of what I read in Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (which by the way, I thought was a very insensitive and opinionated book). How could it be so that all kids who wake up at night are doing it because they want attention and not because they are hungry? I wake up hungry at night frequently, and I am almost 30 years old! Maybe not many other people do this, but we are all individual. Also, your doctor's advice undermines the importance of nursing for reasons other than hunger. Even if your LO wakes and wants to nurse to be close to you, that is fulfilling a need for your LO. You should do whatever you feel comfortable with. If the one night feeding is working for you (and to me, sounds like a great deal), then I would feel no need to change that. Also, if you plan on nursing long-term, the night feeding will help ensure that you maintain your supply.

Also, FWIW, your LO may start waking up more at night toward 5 or 6 months when teething and more developmental milestones are an issue. My LO was up 5,6 sometimes more times each night right before the first teeth broke. Now that the teeth are in, she often only eats twice a night (which is amazing to me after many months of being up every two hours!!). It sounds like you are doing a great job!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

My DD nursed at night till about 14 months - and then she outgrew it and things were fine. I say trust your instinct. Four months seems pretty young to cut out night nursing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte's Mommy View Post
    I think this is ridiculous advice. Especially if your LO wakes and eats only once during the night. That sounds more like hunger than a "behavioral" thing. Waking only once during the night at that age sounds great. My pediatrician said a four month old who sleeps four or five hours during the night is doing great. This advice you got reminds me of what I read in Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (which by the way, I thought was a very insensitive and opinionated book). How could it be so that all kids who wake up at night are doing it because they want attention and not because they are hungry? I wake up hungry at night frequently, and I am almost 30 years old! Maybe not many other people do this, but we are all individual. Also, your doctor's advice undermines the importance of nursing for reasons other than hunger. Even if your LO wakes and wants to nurse to be close to you, that is fulfilling a need for your LO. You should do whatever you feel comfortable with. If the one night feeding is working for you (and to me, sounds like a great deal), then I would feel no need to change that. Also, if you plan on nursing long-term, the night feeding will help ensure that you maintain your supply.

Also, FWIW, your LO may start waking up more at night toward 5 or 6 months when teething and more developmental milestones are an issue. My LO was up 5,6 sometimes more times each night right before the first teeth broke. Now that the teeth are in, she often only eats twice a night (which is amazing to me after many months of being up every two hours!!). It sounds like you are doing a great job!

It seems to me that everyone is in such a rush to get their kids to sleep through the night, even the medical community. At that age metabolically babies don't need to eat at night but that doesn't mean your LO isn't hungry. Even if she isn't maybe she just needs reassurance that you're there when she needs you. Either way if you don't mind feeding her at night then ignore anyone who tells you stop. All babies will outgrow night feedings at their own pace.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

If the night-waking isn't bothering you, I wouldn't worry about it! I've been trying to break mine of it, but he's 6mos, is on solids, and seems to be doing it more out of habit than hunger (he has slept the night through on his own three times with no encouragement, usually falls asleep before letdown even happens, and if LD DOES happen he kinda frowns in his sleep and pulls off). Also, I REALLY don't cope well when I don't get at least 6hrs of uninterrupted sleep, so I've been looking forward to this sleep-through-the-night time for AGES. That being said, I certtainly didn't rush it, and I'm still just trying to eliminate one waking at a time.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Thank you everyone for your reassurance. I'm definetly going to just go with the flow for now. If I feel it becomes more of a habit than actual hunger I may rethink things but for now the schedule works for us. I work full time so I only get to nurse so many times a day I would hate to cut back even if it is at 2 AM. Thanks again. I'm so glad I found this website!

Mom to Lucy born 11/28/07

, at home and , at work

You definitely need to go with what you are comfortable with. At around the same time my pedi also told us the same thing. I ignored her, ds was only waking once and I was ok with it. At every well visit she said the same thing . . .still ignored her bc ds was on the small side adn I felt he needed it. at aroung 9 months we started doing some gentle night weaning adn the pedi mentioned his weight gain being slow and asked if something was going on. I told her we were finally night weaning the one feed, and you know what she said? "you might want to go more slowly with that" I am so gladd I ignored the pedi and didn't try it at 4 months(and at 7 months the pedi was more adamant about it, telling us to "just let him cry infedinitely"!! If I would have listened to her and let my lo cio and then have her change her mnd about it, I would have been super mad . . . . moms know what is best for their lo's each one is different, with different needs . . . trust your instincts, you sound like you are ok with the night waking, adn actually enjoy it! nightwaking usually gets worse before it gets better!

Ignore your ped...
    my 10 month old goes to bed at 630 pm- she wakes at 4am and I nurse her and then she goes back to sleep till 7 am.. I know she could sleep through and does occassionally but she is so busy during the day this 4 am feeding is actually her biggest and she is on the smaller side so It doesn't bother me. MY ped told me to cut it out also but I ignore her. If it doesn't bother you and she nurses for more than 2 min than she is probably hungry. If my lo woke up and just nursed for a second I would cut out the feeding. There are 2 year olds still nursing at night. If you are okay with it you are fine!!!!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I agree with the advice of ignoring your ped.

My LO was in a 4 hrs of initial sleep, then wake up every 2 hours to feed pattern for what seemed like forever. I had read that by 4 mos a baby doesn't need to wake in the night for food and it is more out of habit and I considered putting effort towards breaking my LO of the waking habit...but then all of a sudden she just started sleeping 8 hrs one night and hasn't looked back!

When your LO is waking for other than hunger, you'll know it. In the mean time, just keep feeding and one day that magical night where they don't wake up so often will happen!

20 hours of hypnobirthing and I LOVED every second of it!