Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lack of dirty diapers

Question Lack of dirty diapers

Hi all,
    I have a 6 week old, and 2 weeks ago her dirty output changed from 1 a day to every 4 days. I talked to the doctor and he said at this age one a week is fine. Currently, it's been about a week. Anyone else have this? Anything we can do to help them along??

Default Re: Lack of dirty diapers

Its not uncommon for exclusively breastfed babies to go that long between stools. As long as she doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort and as long as when she does go the stool is soft and not dry and pebble-like, all seems fine and there is nothing you need to do to help things along.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

NO issue at all and nothing to worry about. Has the consistency changed to the color and thickness of peanut butter? This is a sign that the digestive track is maturing. Often breastfed babies go 7-1o day without a bowel movement. Just another breastfed perk. You sometimes dont' have to change poopy diapers every day....and they smell like popcorn.

Way too lazy for formula

Here's some reassuring information:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bm.html

Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

My LO only poops once every 5 days or so since he was 6 weeks old. But when he goes, he goooooooooes! Always have to change his clothes adn give him a bath!
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks

She is past 10 days tomorrow. Should I be worried and try to rectal stimulate her if she goes beyond 10 days????????????

Its not unheard of for a breastfed baby to go that long, but its also not that common for babies to go 10 days either. It can be totally normal for some babies. How is her behaviour? Is she happy? Content? Is her stomach soft?

Is she exclusively breastfed? No formula supplements or early solids (ie. cereal in a bottle)?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

She has been exclusively breastfed for 3 days now, I'm dropping the formula to see if my supply can have her gain the weight she needs. No cereal, she is only 6 weeks. Her stomach is soft, she is happy for the most part, clingy, yet she is constantly wanting to be fed right now. She wimpers in her sleep, I often wonder if that is discomfort.