Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will breastfeeding hurt?

Default Will breastfeeding hurt?

Hi,

I have a 5 week old baby boy who had to be separated from me during his 1st week (I pumped my colustrum and tried bfing too). After he came home, he had latching problems and I had been exclusively pumping then. Now for the past 3 weeks , he's having 8 feedinds per day out of which 6 is breastmilk in bottle and rest 2 on formula. I often put try to put him to feed directly and pump in a dedicated manner. Right now I am able to pumple 20 oz per day and give him 6 oz of formula too. Today I wanted to try my luck again with direct feeding and started at 8 am in the morning. Since then, he had been nursing for a while and it hurts very badly on me. Since morning he had 2 dirty diapers and 3 wet ones. He starts okay with latch but then loses the grip and it is painful to me. I couldn't bear the pain and hence pumped the milk and gave him the same at 6 p.m.

We are trying the cradle position. He never seems to be satisfied after the feeding and sleeps for a while out of tiredness.

I've heard bfing never hurts but it has always been a pain to me. I have a bit bigger aerola and I fear he holds the nipple portion alone. But I had met my local LLL leader (2 weeks back) who clarified that he doesn't do that and is perfectly fine except that he loses the grip/latch after a while.

I am about to give up and am thinking of coninuing with exclusive pumping and feeding him. I have started to pump too now....

I really need encouragement/support here. Please give your suggestions.

Thanks
    Last edited by chicagomommy; March 28th, 2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: edit

Default Re: Will breastfeeding hurt?

He may be trying to latch on to your breast like he's latching on to the bottle. It's actually a very different mechanism. Baby's mouth needs to be open wide, tongue over bottom gum. Make sure you are sitting comfortable, back support, and possibly with a pillow or two available to support your arms. My favorite link about latching seems to be down right now, I'll poke around and see if I can find it something similar.

Have you tried the football position? Many mothers find that it's easier to see how baby is latching on when they are in that position.

If he starts to slip off of correct position, you can unlatch him and help him to latch back on correctly. Breastfeeding shouldn't be toe-curling pain!

Trying lots of skin to skin time, with him either laying next to you in bed, in just a diaper, while you aren't wearing a shirt or bra, or with him laying in your chest, can help him to learn that you are a wonderful place to be. In addition, some babies, even those who have had issues with breastfeeding before, sometimes just kind of wiggle themselves down to the breast and latch on correctly, all without mother's help. It's called "infant self attachment", if you'd like to look it up online. There are several good videos available online about it.

This link has good info on getting a baby to nurse. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/back.html
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

We had simmilar problems at first too. We had good luck nursing in a warm bath, when I was trying to getting Hunter off the bottle and nipple shields. Does it hurt only when he latches or do you think you may have cracks or blisters from him not lacthing properly.
    nak

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

in the beginning, i almost stopped nursing livy because of the pain i was in. i would literally start to cry when i knew she was about to latch on because i was anticipating the pain. there is a product that you should be able to find at most drug stores called Soothies. they are gel pads that you place in the refrigerator and then use to sooth your sore breasts. they are around $12 and can be used multiple times. i think that they are amazing!!! i would highly recommend them to help ease your pain while you are working on your latch.

good luck and hang in there mama!

It hurts very badly during his latch and while after bfing too. My nipples turn sore after his latch. He's not emptying completely and I am starting to feel full within an hour. He's not at all contented too.

Quote Originally Posted by huntersmomma View Post
    We had simmilar problems at first too. We had good luck nursing in a warm bath, when I was trying to getting Hunter off the bottle and nipple shields. Does it hurt only when he latches or do you think you may have cracks or blisters from him not lacthing properly.
    nak

BF hurt me SO BAD for the first 2, 2 1/2 weeks. I was just about to give up because all of the advice I was getting was "well, you must be doing it wrong"...but then one day, it just stopped hurting!

Keep at it! If you need a break, maybe try a nipple shield for a feeding and think about using nipple cream. Both helped me. But be careful to not become dependent on either because eventually, you should be able to BF without them and without the pain.

KEEP AT IT! You can do it! And yes...it gets better!

20 hours of hypnobirthing and I LOVED every second of it!

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Yes, it does hurt at first and not just with a bad latch - although it hurts a lot more when the latch is bad. Like one of the pp's here, I cried with anticipation. And then cried while BFing.

The good news is that it stops hurting fairly quickly. For me, it took almost a week but that was because I didn't nurse for every feeding. Just keep in mind that it will stop hurting SOON - or even think of it like this: every time it hurts, you are getting closer to the time when it won't hurt. It's so worth doing, and I promise you, you'll be so happy once you get past the pain. It's just a lot easier than pumping - takes less time, no bottles to clean and sterilize.

Good luck - you can do it!!

My daughter is now 8 months old and has always been a good little nurser. However, it was very painful in the beginning. It was as though my nipples never had enough time between feedings. I believe my pain ended around 6 weeks so it does get better. As long as your latch is okay the pain should definitely decrease. Keep with it, the bond of nursing is incredible. Once you get past the pain there is no looking back, it's a distant memory. Good luck, keep trying!