Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Extreme nipple pain after 5 months

Exclamation Extreme nipple pain after 5 months

My LO just turned 5 months old and we have been EBF the entire time. For the last week and a half I have been experiencing unbearable pain in my right nipple. At first I thought it might be thrush, but it is only in one side, and it usually only hurts while I'm feeding her, not after. On closer examination I noticed that I have what looks like three little red blisters grouped together on the nipple, as well as lots of cracks. It is also sensitive all around the nipple. I think her latch may have become lazy and she has been biting and pulling a lot more lately. I have been putting milk on the nipple after feedings and letting it air dry, then putting Lanolin on. This helps a little bit, but only temporarily, it is not healing. I have been trying to help her latch better on that side, but she has a VERY strong suck, and the pain feels like someone stabbing me until my milk lets down and she eases up on how hard she sucks. My LO is very sensitive and she feels my anxiety and sometimes will refuse to nurse because I'm not relaxed.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions? If I can't get some relief over the weekend, I think I'm going to call an LC on Monday.
    and loving it!

First time mom to Rory Anne

Born 10/29/07 7lbs 10ounces

Default Re: Extreme nipple pain after 5 months

So sorry to hear about all the pain you are having. I had thrush for 2 months and it sure does sound familiar. The way you describe the stabbing pain and the blisters...I cleared it up with gentian violet and the All Purpose Nipple Ointment. Check your little ones mouth for white patches. I hope you find some relief.

Are the blisters on the tip or side? What position do you nurse in?

The blisters are right on top of the nipple. Most of the time I nurse lying down on my side due to OALD and because she refuses to nurse in any other position most of the time.
    and loving it!

First time mom to Rory Anne

Born 10/29/07 7lbs 10ounces

Here is some useful reading for you, it will help trouble shoot the cause of the pain. It is important to resolve pain issues! No one wants to be in pain...

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/heal.html nipple pain

Is thrush causing my nipple pain: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/thrush.html

Nipple pain causes treatments and remedies: http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVFebMar00p10.html

Could her latch be off a little due to pre-teething or teething? That happened with Hunter prior to him getting his 1st tooth.

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

When I had thrush I had those little red spots as well, along with very similar pain to what you've described. No symptoms in my LO, either. I'm pretty sure it can be only on one side, in fact, my right side healed independently of the left when I was getting over thrush.

If you even have the slightest feeling it could be thrush, you'll want to stop putting expressed bm and Lanolin on ASAP as A) thrush thrives on the sugar in milk and B) thrush thrives in moist environments. As a precaution you might also want to start doing a vinegar/water or baking soda/water rinse on your nipples after feedings.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.