Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would you medicate or take out dairy?

Default would you medicate or take out dairy?

DD2 is 12 weeks she just started with the screaming at the breast and arching her back. I am thinking reflux but is it a possible rxn to dairy?I don't want to give meds but I don't want her to hate BF either...Help anyone
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

Default Re: would you medicate or take out dairy?

Any other symptoms?

I personally would try cutting dairy out, because reflux can be a symptom of a dairy sensitivity.

For us a total elimination diet, chiropractic treatments, and cranial osteopathy did not help D's reflux. So we medicated him through the peak of reflux @ 4 months and had him off the meds by 6 months. He struggled a bit when he started solids, but it wasn't any better with the meds, so we figured why bother?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Karin,
    I found this info from Dr Jay Gordon:

GER (Reflux)

Before a baby gets evaluated for GER (gastroesophageal reflux), breastfeeding moms must eliminate all dairy from their diets. To some, this seems like a drastic step. It is far less drastic or invasive than the tests and medications for GER in babies.

When eliminating dairy and watching for a reduction of GER symptoms, patience is a key. The offending protein can take a few weeks to be completely undetectable in breastmilk. Many will see improvement within days, because the levels begin to decrease as a diet devoid of dairy is consumed. It is not unusual to see little change until two or three weeks after eliminating dairy.

The almost miraculous improvement in hundreds of troubled babies in 22 years of practice might be the strongest evidence, albeit anecdotal evidence, that I bring to the table. Does this work 100% of the time? No, nothing works 100% of the time, but dairy elimination is the single-most important advice I give to dozens of people each and every week.
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...icks/dairy.asp
    Lyn

Thanks Lyn..but WAAAAAA I knew it was coming....a dairy free karin will be hard But I'll do it.
    karin

BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07

has anyone taken out dairy and had sucess with the back arching stopping?
    karin

Quote Originally Posted by mastiffkarin View Post
    has anyone taken out dairy and had sucess with the back arching stopping?
    Not personally, but I met a Mom at my La Leche League meeting who had fantastic success (greater than medication) when she cut out dairy, wheat, soy.
    Lyn

We had no success with chiro treatments and cutting out dairy. Within 8 days of starting prilosec both kids did complete 180s.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

Thanks nancy....I did give one dose of axid...supposedly it has less alcohol than zantac...anyone use it? She didn't do it at the last nursing. My fear was that she would hate BF by the time dairy left my system. So I will give meds for 5 days while cutting out dairy...then wean off meds. that is my plan anyway.
    karin

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Not personally, but I met a Mom at my La Leche League meeting who had fantastic success (greater than medication) when she cut out dairy, wheat, soy.
    Thanks lyn...hope it works for me. How long do you figure it has to be stopped for?
    karin

It can take 3-4 weeks to totally be out of your milk. But some people see improvement, even slight, right away.

I, too, was concerned about breast rejection or eating aversions which can happen with severe reflux. That was one of the main reasons we decided to medicate through the peak of reflux.

Good luck in whatever you decide, Karin. It is so hard when your child is screaming at you in pain
    Lyn