Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding Not Successful in Hospital or at Home Yet

Default Breastfeeding Not Successful in Hospital or at Home Yet

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has some advice or hope for my situation. I delivered Monday and my daughter did not want to suck when she was latched on in the hospital, she just fell asleep. Then when she was awake, she just kind of wiggled off and started crying. They gave me the shells in the hosptial to help my nipple protrude, they said they were somewhat flat.

The pediatrician said I couldn't leave the hospital until I fed her a bottle of food before we left. So, right now I'm pumping and using formula. My milk supply isn't that much because she is not able to stimulate my breasts.

Has anyone been able to be successful breastfeeding after introducing a bottle? I keep trying several times a day to breastfeed. A few times I've had her take maybe 5-7 sucks but then nothing. Mostly she gets very upset and wiggles off and cries.

It seems like all the forums are about women who are already breastfeeding. I just want to know if others out there are still trying.

I did read that some women were able to get their baby to breastfeed when they were a little older - a few months. Do some babies just reject the breast altogether?

Please help
    Thanks.

Default Re: Breastfeeding Not Successful in Hospital or at Home Yet

have you talked to your local leader?
    You can look her up in the gray bar at the top
    put in usa and then your state..
    Leaders can help beter over the phone then we can on-line.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/back.html

heres a link that might help...
    heres another link that talks about how to pump when baby isn't nursing any at the breast.
    What kind of pump do you have?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

your baby is very young there is much hope that you can get her breastfeeding well some babies and moms have a rough 1st few weeks but you can do it!

She might be getting frustrated since with a bottle she gets instant gratification of milk but with the breast she has to work to get your letdown going.

A couple things that might help her stay on longer is to feed her more often. If she gets to the breast before she's really hungry she might be willing to work a little more since sucking is a comfort thing for babies anyway.

Another thing you could try is to pump just enough to get letdown then put her to the breast. She might be more patient and willing to nurse since the milk is ready to go.

We to had to supplement in order to leave the hospital so you absolutely can BF after introducing bottles. It really would be helpful for you to contact your local LLL leader like Andrea recommended.

You can do this, it will just take some time. Try to limit her contact with the bottle and pacifier as much as possible until you get BFing established. This will help avoid nipple confusion. Good luck!!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I want to start by venting....Why are hospitals so breastfeeding unfriendly! I am so tired of hearing these stories. It frustrates me to no end. They know it is best, but instead of helping a mom get the baby to the breast, they throw formula in their face.

Ok, now that I got that out of my system. My baby refused my breast for the first few days. Sometimes you just have to teach the baby how to eat. The hospital was hard on me also. My baby was Jaundice and they wanted to give him formula to push out the merconium (spelling?). I stood my ground, refused the bottle, and checked myself out of the hospital. He finally took the breast on day 3 and passed the merconium a few hours later. I of course kept taking him to the ped. to check the Jaundice, but I would not give into the pressure. I know how you feel. It is hard to know what to do. Especially when the medical community that you are supposed to trust is telling you to give the bottle. You are not alone. This happens more than you can imagine.

My advice is to stop giving bottles and pacifiers immediatly! Find a lactation consultant as suggested by the PP. The only way to get that baby to the breast is to not offer an alternative. It will be hard at first. I know, I've been through the screaming nights. However, it will be worth it in the end. Once you get the baby on, it will get MUCH easier.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    have you talked to your local leader?
    You can look her up in the gray bar at the top
    put in usa and then your state..
    Leaders can help beter over the phone then we can on-line.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/back.html

heres a link that might help...
    heres another link that talks about how to pump when baby isn't nursing any at the breast.
    What kind of pump do you have?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

your baby is very young there is much hope that you can get her breastfeeding well some babies and moms have a rough 1st few weeks but you can do it!

I have the Medela Lactina Electric Plus from the Hosptial.

Quote Originally Posted by nina&noah View Post
    I want to start by venting....Why are hospitals so breastfeeding unfriendly! I am so tired of hearing these stories. It frustrates me to no end. They know it is best, but instead of helping a mom get the baby to the breast, they throw formula in their face.

Ok, now that I got that out of my system. My baby refused my breast for the first few days. Sometimes you just have to teach the baby how to eat. The hospital was hard on me also. My baby was Jaundice and they wanted to give him formula to push out the merconium (spelling?). I stood my ground, refused the bottle, and checked myself out of the hospital. He finally took the breast on day 3 and passed the merconium a few hours later. I of course kept taking him to the ped. to check the Jaundice, but I would not give into the pressure. I know how you feel. It is hard to know what to do. Especially when the medical community that you are supposed to trust is telling you to give the bottle. You are not alone. This happens more than you can imagine.

My advice is to stop giving bottles and pacifiers immediatly! Find a lactation consultant as suggested by the PP. The only way to get that baby to the breast is to not offer an alternative. It will be hard at first. I know, I've been through the screaming nights. However, it will be worth it in the end. Once you get the baby on, it will get MUCH easier.

Good Luck
    I had one good lactation consultant in the hospital and then the other one could have cared less in the hospital. We were feeding her by syringe and the pediatrician wouldn't let me leave until we gave her the bottle. I was so mad. But I understand they wanted the baby to eat. The pediatrician thought she was jaundice and the nurse did the test and she was not. It was so annoying. The Dr. just overreacted and they try to control a situation that really has nothing to do with them.

Have you tried this site?

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T020100.asp

Maybe this can help you. I have his book and use it frequently.

Mama you can get through this and breastfeed your child. You are going to have to overcome some obstacles that the doctor @ the hospital caused. But don't worry, many Mothers have made it through this.

The best thing to do is remove milk from your breasts. To keep your supply up you have to get the milk out to tell your body to make more. What are you getting when you pump? Keep in mind that pumps are not always good indicators of your milk supply. Your baby will always be the most efficient at removing milk.

An alternative to the bottles would be a Supplemental Nursing System (SNS). Please contact a board certified lactation consultant or your local LLL Leader to find out how to get one. You will attatch a small tube to your nipple. The tube will be connected to a bottle of milk (preferrably your expressed BM). Your baby will still get milk, but also be learning to latch and received milk from your breast. This is much preferrable to the bottle due the risk of nipple confusion and the chance that she will prefer the fast, instant flow of the bottle.

If your doctor or your LC tell you something that you don't want to hear such as "You can't breastfeed" or something that discourages you, get a second opinion! Not all lactation consultants are trained equally, board certified is the best one to choose, but even then their opinions can vary.

I've found Dr Jack Newman to be a very valuable source of information on breastfeeding and overcoming obstacles. Here are some links that I think may help you in your situation.

Finding a Breastfeeding Support Person (how to find a GOOD consultant)

When the baby refuses to latch on

Please keep posting updates on your situation. We are here to help you through this. In a few months from now you will be looking back feeling SO proud of what you have achieved and what you are doing for your baby.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post

Mama you can get through this and breastfeed your child. You are going to have to overcome some obstacles that the doctor @ the hospital caused. But don't worry, many Mothers have made it through this.

The best thing to do is remove milk from your breasts. To keep your supply up you have to get the milk out to tell your body to make more. What are you getting when you pump? Keep in mind that pumps are not always good indicators of your milk supply. Your baby will always be the most efficient at removing milk.

An alternative to the bottles would be a Supplemental Nursing System (SNS). Please contact a board certified lactation consultant or your local LLL Leader to find out how to get one. You will attatch a small tube to your nipple. The tube will be connected to a bottle of milk (preferrably your expressed BM). Your baby will still get milk, but also be learning to latch and received milk from your breast. This is much preferrable to the bottle due the risk of nipple confusion and the chance that she will prefer the fast, instant flow of the bottle.

If your doctor or your LC tell you something that you don't want to hear such as "You can't breastfeed" or something that discourages you, get a second opinion! Not all lactation consultants are trained equally, board certified is the best one to choose, but even then their opinions can vary.

I've found Dr Jack Newman to be a very valuable source of information on breastfeeding and overcoming obstacles. Here are some links that I think may help you in your situation.

Finding a Breastfeeding Support Person (how to find a GOOD consultant)

When the baby refuses to latch on

Please keep posting updates on your situation. We are here to help you through this. In a few months from now you will be looking back feeling SO proud of what you have achieved and what you are doing for your baby.

Lyn
    Thanks for the advice. I had not heard about the SNS. Today at my first pump I got around 3.5 oz of breastmilk which was the most ever. I might try pumping every hour for 5-10 mins to get a stock going. I don't want to rely on formula at all.

I can tell that breastfeeding your child is very important to you

What methods have you tried to get your daughter to latch? Sometimes when they are sleepy or drowsy, they instinctively latch better. A dim, quiet room with little to no distractions also helps. Lots of skin to skin contact is beneficial to latching. Some Moms have found that getting in the bath with baby can result in a good latch.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)