Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pulling tops of ears

Default Pulling tops of ears

My lo has had two ear infections. Lately she has started pulling at the top of her ears every time I bf her. Does that mean I should take her to the doctor? I sometimes think she's seems like she's a little extra fussy but I'm just not sure. She hasn't had a fever. Do any of your lo pull at their ears while eating?
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Default Re: Pulling tops of ears

Nora pulls at her ears all the time, or she used to. At first I thought it was an ear infection every time, but I realized it's just a thing she does. She'd do it more when she'd get upset about something so I really thought she was crying cause her ears hurt, but I kept getting them checked and nothing was wrong. Now she doesn't do it as much because she has more hair and likes to pull that instead.

hth
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I've read on the this web site, that before a year of age, you can't use just pulling/grabbing ears as an indicator of an ear infection. My DD plays w/ her ears all the time and it really worried me at first, but now I know it's just something she does. I would wait and see if other symptoms occur first, but since you've dealt with this in the past, I can see how you would worry. GL!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

mine pulled his ears from about 12 wks and still does, mostly when eating, unless of course he's scratching my boob....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

My LO is 5 mo and always plays with his ear while I'm feeding him. It's like he folds it in half. So I'll let him old my finger while I'm feeding him so he won't make his ear stick out. haha And it's always his right ear. He also plays w/it when he's tired or frustrated and he'll scratch the top of his head w/his left hand...sometimes he does this at the same time. So I think it's normal....they just find new things to do and try out.
    Stephanie (23) Married to Troy (22) since August 2003
    Just welcomed our first baby into the world
    Our son, Caden Wesley born 10-10-07 at 1:00 AM via emergency c-section
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

SAHM

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    10-16---8 lbs 12 oz 20 3/4 in
    10-26---9 lbs 8 oz 21 1/2 in
    12-14---12 lbs 15 oz 24 in
    02-12---15 lbs 12 oz 25 1/2 in
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in

Thanks so much. I appreciate your pp's. Last time I took her to the Pedi it was nothing and since she doesn't have a fever or seem really fussy I didn't want to take her in. I thought I heard it was normal for kids to play with their ears. I'll keep watching for symptoms but I'm thinking she's just having lots of fun playing.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Maybe teething?

My son pulls his when he eats and when he is mad.

He went to the doc. yesterday and he said his ears were clear
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

this was helpful. my lo has been playing with his ears lately too and i didn't think he had an ear infection or else there'd be more symptoms.