Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how often nurse 7 month

Default how often nurse 7 month

My daughter is 7 months and only nursing 4 times a day for about 5-10 minutes total. She eats about 3 tbsp of cereal in the am after nursing and a stage 2 dinner in the evening. Is this about right or should she be nursing more often?

Default Re: how often nurse 7 month

Does she seem like she's happy? Does she have plenty of wet diapers? My 7 1/2 month old eats about 5 times during the day and 2 times during the night. She doesn't eat much while I'm working so I suppose that's why she eats during the night. Since I pump at work, I know she eats between 6-10 oz while I'm gone and I could only guestimate how much she eats while I'm home. She eats one breast at 4:30 (probably 3-4oz) and then eats at bedtime 7:30 but much less. We haven't "replaced" any meals with solids yet but she does try them. I suppose as long as she has plenty of wet diapers, is happy and gaining weight she must be eating enough You're doing great!
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

I don't know if it's enough, but our babies are the same age, so I'll just share our situation.

My 7 month old currently nurses or has a bottle 6 times a day (7 if she wakes to eat overnight). However, 2 of those are in the evening and are small cluster-feeds, so I think they're significantly less actual milk than the others. Probably gets an equivalent of 5-6 good sessions, usually. She eats ~2 tbs cereal and ~2oz fruit or veg in the am and sometimes has solids in the evening as well.

I have no idea if that's what she should be having, but it's working for us!

Thanks!!! for the replies. She is a very happy baby but has always been that way. I just get nervous that she may not be getting enough when I hear how often other babies are eating. The not knowing how many oz at each feeding is also troublesome. I have no way of knowing how much in a 24 hour period she is getting. I bf when she first gets up then again around 12:30/1, again 5/5:30 and I wake her up before I go to bed to bf. Then she sleeps til the am.

My son is just shy of 8 months. He nurses or takes a 5 oz bottle of EBM 6-7 times/24 hrs (two of these times at night). He also has 2 tbsp cereal and 2 oz fruit at lunch and 3 oz vegetable at supper. Seems to be doing just fine with this.