Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Thrush/nipple confusion

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default Thrush/nipple confusion

    Hi! I am a second time mom, but first time breast feeder. My little boy is 10 days old and has, until the last 24-36 hours been a great and vigorous eater with little trouble latching on. About 36 hours or so ago he developed thrush in his mouth and I began having thrush related symptoms (burning and pain) in my nipples- especially when he would latch on. The doc put him on nystatin and gave me a dose of diflucan. While the nystatin seems to be giving him some relief, I think the diflucan has yet to kick in for me (I took it about 10 hours ago).

    My question is this: for the last 24 hours my little boy has been very reluctant to eat, not latching on and increasingly lethargic. The pediatrician said he was most likely in a little pain as a result of the thrush on his tongue and not vigorously sucking and/or latching on as a result. I've been pumping to get my supply up, and this afternoon, in a moment of desperation, I attempted to feed him about 1 1/2 ounces of breast milk in a bottle to make sure he was getting something. I thought he might have the same problem sucking from the bottle as from the breast, however, he vigorously drank all of the breast milk from the bottle without so much as a grimace.

    Have I messed up? I've read that the tongue movement required to get milk from a bottle is exactly opposite of what is required to get milk from the breast. After the bottle, he is still completely disinterested in the breast and not latching on at all. Should I continue to feed him breast milk from a bottle in an effort to make sure he's getting enough to eat or should I stick to trying to get him to latch on and feed from me? I am so confused and very worried that he might no longer want to breast feed.

    Could it be that the thrush on my nipple is what is causing him to pass on the breast and not the fact that he got a bottle for the first time? I would really, really appreciate anyones advice, insight or suggestions! To the extent it makes a difference, he is one ounce short of his birth weight. He had moderate jaundice when he was born, but it has been resolved through the use of bili lights at this point.

    Thank you so much in advance!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,866

    Default Re: Thrush/nipple confusion



    Quote Originally Posted by lawyerleigh View Post
    Hi! I am a second time mom, but first time breast feeder. My little boy is 10 days old and has, until the last 24-36 hours been a great and vigorous eater with little trouble latching on. About 36 hours or so ago he developed thrush in his mouth and I began having thrush related symptoms (burning and pain) in my nipples- especially when he would latch on.
    Ouch!

    Did you have any antibiotics during the birth?


    Quote Originally Posted by lawyerleigh View Post
    The doc put him on nystatin and gave me a dose of diflucan. While the nystatin seems to be giving him some relief, I think the diflucan has yet to kick in for me (I took it about 10 hours ago).
    Diflucan merely prevents yeast from replicating--it doesn't kill it. Most breastfeeding experts recommend a much longer course of diflucan for ductal yeast. That being said, Diflucan is "the big gun". There are lots of other things you can try first, and many of them you can get w/out a prescription.

    Here are some really helpful resources:
    www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov98p91.html
    http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/thrush.html
    http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/yeast.shtml
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/20fluconazole.html

    Quote Originally Posted by lawyerleigh View Post
    My question is this: for the last 24 hours my little boy has been very reluctant to eat, not latching on and increasingly lethargic. The pediatrician said he was most likely in a little pain as a result of the thrush on his tongue and not vigorously sucking and/or latching on as a result.
    Thrush can cause pain and temporary breast refusal. Don't let that discourage you. You can beat thrush!

    Quote Originally Posted by lawyerleigh View Post
    Have I messed up? I've read that the tongue movement required to get milk from a bottle is exactly opposite of what is required to get milk from the breast. After the bottle, he is still completely disinterested in the breast and not latching on at all. Should I continue to feed him breast milk from a bottle in an effort to make sure he's getting enough to eat or should I stick to trying to get him to latch on and feed from me? I am so confused and very worried that he might no longer want to breast feed.
    Rule #1 (ALWAYS!) is feed the baby. It's important to continue to offer to nurse, but if he can't, you can offer milk by other means. If you're worried about nipple confusion from bottle feeding, you could consider an alternative method of feeding. Here's some information:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

    Here are some tips for getting baby back to the breast:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVDecJan03p123.html


    Could you call your nearest LLL Leader for support? Are you currently in contact with an IBCLC or other lactation support person?

    Feel better soon!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Thrush/nipple confusion

    I agree with the advice the pp gave to you. And your priority after #1 (feed the baby) should be to clear up the thrush! I had a case for 7 weeks before I found relief, and boy, what a difference! My son had no symptoms, so we didn't have any problem with him not wanting to nurse, just with me being in so much pain, I dreaded nursing and cried plenty of times.

    http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/thrush.html

    This site was my favorite, and JSYK, I tried Nystatin and 21 days of Diflucan, and what ended up working for me was gentian violet (talk about near immediate relief for you!), and All Purpose nipple Ointment. I also had 2 great LCs, an awesome peer helper and my super OB to help me. I am very lucky in that aspect, but I feel that having a lot of support is key to overcoming breastfeeding problems. This is a great site to get lots of support and seasoned advice. Hang in there, you're doing great!
    ...wow, I can't believe we've been
    for 10 months!




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Thrush/nipple confusion

    Thanks to you both for your advice. I think I could probably benefit from an in person visit/consultation with a LC, but am having trouble locating someone near where I live in Georgia. I live about a half hour or so south of Atlanta. Does anybody know how to find a list of certified lactation consultants in Georgia who might go on house calls on the south side of Atlanta? I've tried all the usual routes and would be grateful for any suggestions!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Thrush/nipple confusion

    They also make bottles that mimmic breastfeeding called BreastFlow. Kiddo has to compress the inner chamber to get any milk out, and the nipple is shaped like a breast, too! Pretty cool, huh. The only bottle we haven't had nipple confusion with!

    Good luck with the thrush!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •